Re-dedicating

Posted: Thursday, September 09, 2010 by Travis Cody in
14

This is always a tough time of year for me, as we approach the commemoration of the terrorist attacks of 11 Sept 2001.  I can feel it coming as August turns to September.  As each day passes, I can't help but be retrospective, which leads me to introspection, and then to a new dedication.

Dedication:  The act of binding yourself, intellectually or emotionally, to a course of action. 

So here's what I'm going to do.

  • I'm a kind person.  I like the way being kind makes me feel.  So I shall re-dedicate myself to being kind.
  • I believe that when one is denied the inalienable rights set forth in the Declaration of Independence...life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness...then those rights become meaningless for all.  So I shall re-dedicate myself to advocating for equal rights for all.
  • I was taught that there is honor in service itself, not in the type of service.  So I shall re-dedicate myself to serving in the way that seems best to me.
  • I was taught that knowledge is power.  So I shall re-dedicate myself to learning all kinds of things.
  • I realize that spirituality is a uniquely personal thing, and I understand that not all faiths and forms of spirituality easily stand side by side, and that some may reject any form of faith or spirituality.  So I shall re-dedicate myself to respecting the faith and spirituality, or lack thereof, of all.
  • I believe that hate and prejudice are learned behaviors, mainly based in ignorance and fear.  So I shall re-dedicate myself to becoming more aware of my prejudices, to understanding the root causes of them, and to overcoming and eliminating them. 
  • I was taught that I am responsible for my actions, my words, and my choices.  So I shall re-dedicate myself to positive actions, positive words, and positive choices.  I shall own them all.
  • I believe that diversity need not be divisive.  So I shall re-dedicate myself to the celebration of infinite diversity in infinite combination. 
I'm not perfect.  I'm an idealist.  I strive to be the best person I can be.  And periodically, I need reminders that being a good person requires patience and persistence.


So I shall have the patience and persistence to re-dedicate myself to each of the things I have enumerated, and probably a few other things too.

Peace. 

14 comments:

  1. Anonymous says:

    peace be with you too, Travis... Hugs!

  1. And this, my friend, this post, these words, and the actions that I know will result from these words - THESE are why I admire you.

    Peace be you on the journey, Trav.

  1. Akelamalu says:

    Nice thoughts Trav. :)

  1. Travis I can only imagine a World of peace and love. You said my thoughts exactly. We all need to be reminded from time to time.

    I am flying my flag proudly on 9/11

  1. Well said, man. Although many of us feel in these ways, it really does help us carry out what we think when we make it public to ourselves. I do this kind of thing at times too, usually close to the start of the year.

  1. Jeni says:

    Travis - you are most certainly a very good man, a wonderful person and a cat lover from way back to boot! All excellent traits and admirable ones to have. This post was truly superb! I definitely have to try to get my son to read it and hopefully, absorb your words too as it might put a good bit of redirection and rededication too into his life at a time he really needs a good bit of that to show up for him!
    Thanks again for such an excellent post and your words are so very true!
    Peace! Yes, please, PEACE -is really what we all need and putting your words into practice -well, it's a darned good start in that direction!

  1. Anonymous says:

    Trav: You're a good man. Well said. And I'm glad about your cat, too. I tried to comment yesterday and it didn't go through. GGG

  1. Beautiful sentiment here today my friend. This has been a tough week for me as well (as I know you know)...as I keep staring at the date on the calendar and keep reliving the day.

    PEACE to all

  1. Beautifully written and wise words for all of us to heed.

  1. Unknown says:

    You are an incredible person and I can't imagine that you think you need to improve! Hehe!

  1. Lois: Right back atcha.

    Songbird: Awww shucks.

    Akelamalu: Thanks.

    Pam: I've always been introspective; more as I get older.

    Charles: I think we have to say it before we can do it. Put the idea into words, then the words to actions.

    Jeni: I think it's in us to do these things. We just have to remind ourselves that we can, and then believe we can, and then just do it.

    GGG: I do try.

    V: The images parked right in the front of my mind several days ago.

    Jamie: I think it's important that we each try to do what is in us to do.

    Dana: Awwww! We can all use a little improvement once in awhile.

  1. Julie says:

    It's all about growing and being a better person. Very good, Travis!

  1. carol g says:

    Thank you for the wise, insightful & poignant words... (I found you through Jamie of Duward Discussion).

  1. I echo Songbird's sentiments. You made me cry.
    Because this is YOU.
    Your words are eloquent.
    Your heart is purely transparent.
    You know how to put complex issues into sharp focus.
    I admire you.
    I am proud to call you my friend.