The stuff and the things

Posted: Thursday, May 05, 2011 by Travis Cody in
10

Taylor Hicks
We weren't allowed to take any photographs at the Taylor Hicks concert last Thursday.

I know!  Major bummer!

But professional photographer Kirk Stauffer was at the show, and my pal Vinny found those pictures.  If you're interested in seeing a bit of what I got to see, you can click here.

And I found a Taylor Hicks blog that I wasn't aware of before.  I swiped this picture from it.  The blog is called Taylorhicksnews on tap.  From what I read briefly, it's mainly a Twitter feed and a place to post photos, news, and thoughts that take more than the 140 character Twitter restriction.  If you're interested, there are more photos and even some videos from the show.

I never expect it to be easy, but I do expect more of an effort from my Lakers.  If you're going to lose, then let it be because the other team beat you, not because you couldn't be bothered to work hard.

Dallas does play good defense.  And to their credit, the Mavericks are playing with confidence.  They have no reason to think they can't win this series, and they are playing like they can and expect to advance.

Now when the Lakers decide to play, they can get any shots they want.  And when those shots aren't falling, they can generally gut it out and find a way to win.  They just don't have that kind of playoff intensity right now, and that's the thing that frustrates me.  I can deal with them being eliminated, but I have trouble when it's because they don't seem to care.

I know they care.  They just aren't playing like they do.  They gave up a 16 point lead to lose game 1, and they just quit on game 2 and got blown out.  Both games at Staples.  So now they go to Dallas down 2 games to none and have to try to avoid getting swept.

Mary Murphy
Maybe it's better if my Lakers get out of it now.  Then I can let loose of the NBA Playoffs and move on to So You Think You Can Dance, which premiers on 26 May.

YAY!

And guess who is back at the judging table?  That's right!  Mary Murphy rides the Hot Tamale Train after taking last year off!  I don't really mind Mary's screaming so much anymore.  I appreciate her enthusiasm and knowledge.  She gives great notes to the dancers and I learn a lot.

Here's another change from last season.  You may recall that in Season 7, we had the Top 10 dancers paired with All Stars from past seasons.  Well, for Season 8, we'll go back to the Top 20 dancing for votes.  When it gets down to the Top 10, then we'll add the All Star element.

Cat Deeley has LEGSSES!
There is also the possibility that Alex Wong may return to the show in some capacity.  Alex was injured last season and had to drop out of the competition.  He is a tremendous dancer.  It's unclear whether he'll get to compete again...usually if you make Top 10, that's it no matter what.  But maybe he'll come back to dance as an All Star.  That would be cool.

So let's bring on the LEGSSES!

Uhm...I mean...bring on the DANCING!

For a good portion of my blogging year, you can count on at least 2 posts a week full of pure frivolity as I review and recap Dancing with the Stars and So You Think You Can Dance.  Or I'll share silly thoughts and LOLCats.  I'll do some memes.  And I've got my weekly music feature called Five on Friday.

Periodically, I'll write a commemorative or historical essay.  And rarely, I'll give you my opinion about some social or political issue that has caught my admiration or ire.

And sometimes an event will happen that simply requires me to express my gratitude.

So to the intelligence analysts, to CIA Director Leon Panetta, to the special operators of Navy SEAL Team 6 of Joint Special Operations Command...I say thank you for taking down Osama bin Laden.

Thank you

And to President Barack Obama, I say thank you for pursuing the terrorist responsible for killing thousands of people on 11 September 2001 at the World Trade Center in New York, at the Pentagon in Washington DC, and on United Flight 93.

10 comments:

  1. Anonymous says:

    I send my thanks, too. And since we'll never know the names of the folks who carried out that mission, I've decided to thank all of our service people who served to get us where we are now, those who currently serve, and those who will serve our country. I'm doing this in that team's honor. Thank you!

  1. Julie says:

    Thanks for the news on SYTYCD! I can't wait! Cat has been missed...what a classy lady!

  1. Akelamalu says:

    Glad you enjoyed the Taylor Hicks gig Trav. Shame you couldn't take any photos. :)

  1. Glad you got to see Taylor

  1. Anonymous says:

    Pretty cool - Soul Patrol! Simon and Garfunkel never rescheduled their tour and I still have my ticket refund money. Already saw Michael Bolton, so . . . maybe I shoulc check out his tour schedule.

  1. Anonymous says:

    Shoot!!!! That previous anonymous was me. goodnightgram

  1. Awesome that you got to see Taylor Hicks. Very Cool! I am sure it was a great show!
    <><

  1. Awesome that you got to see Taylor Hicks. Very Cool! I am sure it was a great show!
    <><

  1. Great rundown of what to expect from a great blog. Tomorrow will be my annual tribute to the Kentucky Derby so if you have a pick let me know

  1. Linda says:

    I extend my heartfelt thanks to Seal Team 6 and their support teams also. That they pulled off their mission without the loss of another single American life speaks volumes about their training, their skill, and their professionalism.

    And darn the luck on no pictures at the Taylor Hicks concert!