Is the change really here?

Posted: Sunday, December 10, 2006 by Travis Cody in
9

I came across an interesting musing while cruising the internet tonight.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16114818/

According to the Associated Press in this article, "adult" music has been steadily taking control of Top 40 radio and Billboard charts over the past 5-7 years. It's interesting reading. I hope it's true. I enjoy new young talent, but the key is whether they are talented. My musical ear has been subjected to questionable manufactured music for so long.

It's not that I mind the manufactured sound. It's just that so much has been centered around the "show" instead of the music. Kids have been recruited based on their dancing ability first - it didn't matter whether they could sing. We'd get lucky if they could.

Uhm. . .I can't see dancing on my radio!!!! I don't watch music videos in my car!!!! I want good music on my radio. Failing that, I go to the Ipod and listen to my own catalog of good music.

Now, the article does warn of a possible new "teen" music resurgence. Let's hope these young performers are talented musicians, and not just cute kids who can dance. Let's hope they can get on a stage in front of a real audience and sing, rather than be forced to lip sync because their producers have decided they need to bounce around the stage in order to entertain.

Oh my - when did I become old intolerant guy?!?!?!?!?!

Wait - I'm not intolerant guy. I'm not a music snob. I guess we all pine for the music and musicians of our own era and experience. I've become interested in new music again. I'm easing into it, thanks to new friends I've made over the last 11 months.

Bring it on, I say. Let's start with the new release from Taylor Hicks!!! Just one more day to wait for it.

9 comments:

  1. tiggerprr says:

    I am so with you, kinda. LOL I hate a lot of "music" that is popular and manufactured. Yet, I do like a lot of stuff that's coming out these days. I don't think I've seen a music video regularly since MTV stopped being MTV, and boy was that a sad moment in time. I listen to my CDs mostly, I hate the radio.

  1. Coco says:

    You are definitely on to something here, Travis. I agree with you that most people tend to gravitate to the music of their youth. However, it can be extremely rewarding to open up to new music, whether it's current, or just simply different from what we're used to. (that's the music teacher in me, I think) This experience with Taylor Hicks has been as much about the people I've met here as it's been about the music, even though it was the music that brought us together in the first place. Whatever the result, it's been a wonderful ride, and I look forward to the next chapter with great anticipation.

  1. Anndi says:

    Very well said, I constantly worry about what kind of ::music:: will be available for my Chicklet.. so .. she's being crammed with good old Rock and Roll.. and what a fine rocker chick she has become. Oh lord, I've created a monster.. LOL
    I look as tuesdays as an opportunity to listen to new music.. there are some gems out there.. but you really do have to keep your ears open.

    and might I add..

    is it TUESTAY yet??????

    WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

  1. Meribah says:

    **bounces with anticipation over Taylor's new CD** I like many different kinds of music, but there's a lot out there that's just too forgettable. Of course, once Taylor's music starts reaching the ears of the general public that should change! Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

  1. Anonymous says:

    Tigerprr: I remember when MTV signed on for the first time. It was so cool. Now it's just cable TV.

    Coco: I'm learning about newer music, thanks to Taylor and the SP.

    Ann: It takes a rocker chick to properly raise a rocker chicklet.

    Meri: Puppies are always welcome to bounce at my place. In fact, they are encouraged to do so!! HeeHee!

    Hey y'all - no thudding Dana on my blog!!!

    It's OK Dana. Next time, just cover your EARS. Oooops! I meant sound holes!

  1. Anonymous says:

    I lived on an Air Force Base in Japan when MTV first went live so I didn't get to see it. But we got cable when we moved back to the states and I got my first taste of MTV...I stayed up for 24 hours watching it. LOL Ahhh the memories!

    I keep telling my daughter that I remember MTV when it WAS MTV. She looks at me like I'm old and crazy. I'm not old!

  1. TopChamp says:

    It's a good point - hadn't really thought about it but it's pretty much the same over here.

    We've just had a bizarre Take That boyband in their 30's revival over here (they've had the number 1 for weeks now).

    So it's mainly older stars here too.

  1. Anonymous says:

    Tigerprr: Luckily my sis is teaching my niece about "old" music, the same way our mom taught us. Sometimes we get the eye roll, but the girl is developing an appreciation for what has come before, and can recognize the good stuff from the fluff stuff.

    Topchamp: Can we still call them boy bands when they get together like that? Can they sing well enough to call them vocal groups?