Blog Blast for Peace

Posted: Wednesday, June 06, 2007 by Travis Cody in
40



6 June 1944...D Day...The Longest Day.

Does it seem odd to you that on a day reserved for expressions of peace, that I would choose to remind you of a time of great war? It seems fitting to me.

On this day, 63 years ago, a generation of men began the effort to reclaim a continent from a tyrannical despot determined to wipe out entire cultures and the people who revered those cultures.

They were ordinary men who did extraordinary things, because those were the things that had to be done. And when it was done, they returned to their homes to live in the peace for which many of their fellows sacrificed their lives.

But one can study the history from 1945 through 2007 and see that peaceful times have been periodically interrupted. In fact, one can study the width and breadth of recorded history and find that mankind is defined by it's wars and periods of strife.

It is simply so. Should we not defend what is ours from those who would try and take it from us? Should we not come to the aid of those who ask us to help them defend what is theirs? Should we not stand in defiance of tyranny and oppression?

Do we take a stand? Draw lines in the sand? Cross a line drawn by others?

Is there a way to be who we are, and cherish what we have, and believe what we will, in peace with others who may be different, and cherish different things than we, and believe something we don't understand?

Can we exist happily and peacefully, rejoicing in the infinite diversity of life on this planet we share?

I cannot answer these questions today. But that doesn't mean that I should stop asking them. Peace is a constant and worthy struggle.

Peace Globes fly across the bloggosphere today. The words written beneath these Globes inspire thought and questions. We must think about peace, talk about peace, and find peace.

We must listen to words about peace. And we must never be afraid to consider another way. Today's reality does not have to be tomorrow's.

"If you want to make peace, you don't talk to your friends. You talk to your enemies." Moshe Dayan (1915-1981)

"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

"I like to believe that people in the long run are going to do more to promote peace than our governments. Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it." Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890-1969)

"One day we must come to see that peace is not merely a distant goal that we seek, but that it is a means by which we arrive at that goal. We must pursue peaceful ends through peaceful means." Martin Luther King, Jr. (1929-1968)

"It isn't enough to talk about peace. One must believe in it. And it isn't enough to believe in it. One must work at it." Eleanor Roosevelt (1884-1962)

"I was once asked why I don't participate in anti-war demonstrations. I said that I will never do that, but as soon as you have a pro-peace rally, I'll be there." Mother Theresa (1910-1997)






Peace from my family to yours.

Please cruise by Peace Globe HQ at Mimi Writes to get your own Peace Globe, as well as to view Globes and posts from bloggers around the world.

40 comments:

  1. Peace be wif yous!

  1. Lizza says:

    I agree, Trav. Asking questions leads to understanding, resolution, acceptance.

  1. Anonymous says:

    may peace be with you today and always

  1. Piacere says:

    Peace, Trav...beautiful words...

  1. Tisha! says:

    Brother Trav!

    Sweetness you got it going on and that post was DA BOMB baby yeah!

    Love
    TT

  1. Wow - those guys had great things to say about peace. How did they get to be so wise!

    Wonderful post, Travis!

  1. peace to you trav, and pam and mr tucker too!

    funny thing, when i hear this quote: "Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

    i think to myself, i would LIKE to understand when people fly planes into our buildings, but it is really hard. is it the "my god is bigger than your god" syndrome? anyway, i truly wish for peace, today and everyday... you are a great american trav!

    smiles, bee

  1. Liz Hill says:

    I just told someone in an email that I can't help but remember that we have the freedom to do this because so many people died fighting for it all those years ago.

    Peace to your family Trav---the power of three makes me smile

    Smooch

  1. Schmoop says:

    Let us not forget that today also marks the anniversary of the killing of a pillar for peace, Bobby Kennedy. Cheers Trav...

  1. more than 57,000 allies died on this day in 1944, searching for peace..

  1. Barb says:

    Peace to you, too.

  1. Beautifully written. Peace to you, Pam and Mr. Tucker!

    SMOOCHES and PEACE!

  1. Sandee says:

    Peace to you and yours Travis. :)

  1. Anndi says:

    I am proud to be your little sis.

    Will we achieve Peace? I don't know...

    But I do hope we never stop striving for it.

    Hugs to you, the ever lovely Pam and the sweet Mr. Tucker.

  1. Perfect my friend...

    Grant Us Peace - "All You Need Is Love"
    Sitting On The COUCH For Peace

  1. Unknown says:

    ... and I´m so SO thankful for DDay - keeping the soldiers who´ve died for peace in my thoughts and prayers!

    Sanni, Frank and Luis,
    Jersey, the furry diva and
    The Pimping Team

    are wishing LOVE & PEACE to you and yours ♥

    P.S.: Jersey just told me to give a purrrrrrr to Mr Tucker... well, she´s a dog, but today it´s Blogblast For Peace =)

  1. Danielle says:

    You know I just recently throw a comment out to a friend that World War II may have been the last honorable reason for the U.S. to go to war.
    We must continue as you say to ask these questions, forever searching for peace.

    Be well and have a PEACEFUL day.

  1. TopChamp says:

    hello - moving post. So chuffed to see Pam & Mr T have globes too!

  1. Thanks to all for your peaceful thoughts and wishes. I'm looking forward to making the Peace Globe rounds.

    See y'all soon!

  1. Parker says:

    Peace to you!
    Purrs!

  1. karen says:

    Peace! Here's my wish that Mimi's efforts last more than one day...forever would be nice, don't you think?

  1. Thoughtful and well written post,Travis. I was looking forward to reading your thoughts for today.
    Thanks for participating and helping to spread the word.

    Peace to you and your lovely family.

  1. Anonymous says:

    Wow, wonderful post, wonderful quotes! I hadn't seen the Eisenhower one -- excellent all the way around.

    Happy Peace Day!

  1. MaoMao says:

    What a great post -- you ask lots of important questions!

    Peace, purrs, and love to you and yours!

  1. Anonymous says:

    I loved your post -- crucial questions to ask and a veritable buffet of thought. Excellent quotes, and a beautiful globe, too! Happy Peace Globe Day, and peace, love, and purrs to you.

  1. Dayngr says:

    Thanks for coming by! Peace to you and yours...

    Dayngr @ Dayngrous Discourse

    Praying for Peace and Supporting Our Military @ eMail Our Military

  1. Peace to you all up there on the other side of the Pacific, from me down here in Tasmania, Australia!

  1. Anonymous says:

    Your post is wonderful. You are absolutely right. The questions cannot be answered, but we must not stop asking them.

    Thank you for stopping by my blog and your interest in linking to my post. I would be honored.

    Peace to you and your family!

  1. Julie says:

    Peace my dear sweet Travis. Peace for you and yours.

    Great entry.

    *hugs*

  1. Karen Jo says:

    I love your peace globes. You wrote a very moving post. I also find it appropriate that today is also D-Day. We must all keep asking these questions and seeking answers.

  1. Anonymous says:

    Great post for BlogBlast for peace day. Thanks for stopping by my blog and may Grace and Peace be with you.

  1. Anonymous says:

    Wonderful post. I love the quotes you chose. One of them was the quote I chose for my post! I liked what you had to say.

  1. GEWELS says:

    Thought provoking post.
    thanks for visitng my peace globe.

    Peace to you and yours.

  1. Wishing you Peace as well, it didn't register the Anniversary of D-Day oh those so many years ago.

    Thankyou for stopping by my blog today.

  1. krystyna says:

    Hi Travis!
    Happy Peace Globe Day to you too.
    Sorry, I'm late.
    I'll be back soon.
    You have wonderful place.

  1. Believer says:

    Great tribute! Peace starts at home.

    Heavenly Voice

  1. Anonymous says:

    Thanks for visiting, Travis. Peace to you.

  1. Thanks for refreshing my mind on my History. I have forgotten the year that D-Day had taken place. And yes, I have to agree that they have rescued the world from the clutches of evil who seeks to wipe out humanity. =(

    Humans can exist happily and peacefully if they are willing to. However, knowing humans, they always try to trouble trouble. =( I really hope that they can change their ways and realize that peace is the only solution for a better world.

    Very thought-provoking post, Travis. =) Happy Peace Globe day!

  1. Anonymous says:

    Loved your post, Travis. Good stuff. I'll stop by every now and then to see what you're up to. Like your blog. Peace to you and yours.