Mo's Manic Monday - Blue

Posted: Monday, February 04, 2008 by Travis Cody in
35



Welcome to another Manic Monday with Morgen. Don't forget to cruise by MM HQ at It's A Blog Eat World. Today's theme is Blue.

I have an eclectic mix of Blue for you today. I just let my mind wander over the various thoughts the word evoked.

The biggest Blue of the day belongs to the New York Giants. Congratulations to Giants fans everywhere. The Giants beat New England 17-14 in Super Bowl XLII.


Roy Orbison (1936-1988) had one of the most distinctive voices in popular music. In 1963 he teamed with Joe Melson on the song Blue Bayou. Linda Ronstadt had a successful cover of the song in 1977. Others who have recorded it include Engelbert Humperdinck, The Mantovani Orchestra, Gerry Grant, Roberto Jordan, New York Theatre Orchestra, Brian Cross, Arlene Harden, Paula Die Basken, Sterben Jung, Floyd Cramer, The Sunset Strings



I started bleeding Dodger Blue in 1975 after the dismantling of my hometown Oakland A's. As a kid growing up in the Bay Area, my mom tried unsucessfully to move me in the direction of the Giants. But I wouldn't have it. I went to the east side, the dark side, where I found Reggie and Catfish and Campy and Sal and Geno and Vida, and three straight World Series championships from 1972-74. But when Charlie Finley began trading and selling off my team, I did the unthinkable in my mom's eyes. I still could never be a Giants fan...I went south and found Tommy L and Garvey and Cey and Davey and Billy Russ and Stevo, and such a rich history and tradition. I found myself despising my once-hero Reggie Jackson and developing that intense hatred for the Yankees as they foiled my Dodgers year after year. Then there was the sweet joy of winning in 1981, and Fernando, and then the Bulldog and Kirk Gibson's home run and the improbable championship in 1988. I'm a Dodger fan, hooked for life.

My favorite drink.



Don't look Turnbaby. In 1992, a group of Kentucky Wildcats led by The Unforgettables John Pelfrey, Richie Farmer, Deron Feldhaus, and Sean Woods, brought the UK program back from probation and came within 1.2 seconds of upsetting the Duke Blue Devils in what is widely considered the greatest college basketball game ever played. UK Blue vs Duke Blue.



Here's a shiny new Marine in Dress Blues.


This is my very favorite waltz, The Blue Danube, performed by Andre Rieu Live In Dublin. Master Rieu seems to be enjoying the couples waltzing as much as he is enjoying his own playing.


35 comments:

  1. The best version is the one by Roy Orbison. I love it!

    Mine is here! Happy MM!

  1. Unknown says:

    I knew there´d be Supoer bowl involved =)

    My favorite of your "blues" is the Blue Danube - my favorite waltz. Aaaaah - thank you. You made my day!

  1. Super bowl XLII, the best game ever.

  1. i would tell you how glad i am that the game is OVER but i won't. i know y'all like football. am i the only southerner that doesn't??? ha ha ha

    smiles, bee

  1. That first Blue was the best Blue!

  1. Sandee says:

    Nice take on blue Travis. I too love the Blue Danube. Very well done. Have a great MM. :)

  1. Anndi says:

    There's a handsome young man in the dress blues.

    Can't do diet sodas.. I'm afraid of aspartame.

    Roy Orbison truly was one of the most haunting voices ever.

    I spent too many of my childhood summers in NE to be doing the 'Giants won' dance... sorry.

  1. Love all the BLUES....

    Excellent take on the word today Travis

  1. Schmoop says:

    Being a Reds fan I have always hated the Dodgers, but I did like the Penguin, Mr. Ron Cey. Cheers Trav!!

  1. You were right and I was wrong about the Giants beating the patriots. I was very surprised but I was happy since I was rooting for Eli and the Giants.

  1. Unknown says:

    Come on over and check out my blue skies! Nice Monday BLUE!

  1. Very nice collection for blue :-)

  1. Akelamalu says:

    Blue Danube - beautiful. How could anyone be BLUE listening to that? :)

  1. Awwwwww Trav... my handsome Marine in his Dress Blues has made another one of your post... Thank you sweetie!

  1. Travis, great post for Manic Monday! Yes today is Big Blue Day! I like the blue of Diet Pepsi but I drink diet Pepsi caffeine-free which is a gold can. And you're a dodger fan...once the Brooklyn Dodgers!

    I have an award for you Travis at my blog...

  1. Hey Travis - I just wanted to drop by to inform you that you have a very, very special award waiting for you over at www.mistysmusings.com - I think you'll really like it! (the cats may not like it as much hehe)

  1. Liz Hill says:

    Here I sit all puny with a nasty head cold and I'm thinking--ooo I'll go read Trav's blog ---I'm sure it will pick me up and then ......a steel BLUE DAGGER in my heart---auuuugggghhhh! ;-)

  1. you are blue all over....smile.

  1. Oneluvgurl: I've always thought so.

    Sanni: Pleased to be of service.

    Sarge: If it wasn't, it was damn close.

    Bee: You're probably not the only one, but I understand. I'm kind of glad myself. I'm ready for a break.

    Starr: Agreed!

    Sandee: There's just something about that waltz.

    Ann: A proud young man indeed. And Roy is one of my all time favorites.

    V: Thought you might.

    Matt: I have a great appreciation for Johnny Bench, but I couldn't like the Reds even as an A's fan. Cheers!

    Charles: There were plenty who thought the Patriots would win...and not without reason. But I'm glad it went the other way.

  1. Flying Monkeys: I will!

    Kyra: Thanks!

    Akelamalu: It puts a smile on my face.

    Dix: You are most welcome!

    Teach: Yup yup yup! I tried the caffeine-free but I need a little bit in my day.

    Misty: Well thank you! I'll be by soon.

    Turn: Awwww. You know I have tremendous respect for those Kentucky kids from 1992.

    Katherine: I gave it my best shot.

    Dana: YAY!

  1. There is one baseball team: The Los Angeles Dodgers. Everybody else are "those other guys on the field in the funny outfits" I started bleeding blue when they were in Brooklyn. I couldn't believe it when I heard "MY Dodgies" were moving to be closer to me in Los Angeles.

  1. Meribah says:

    Congrats on a fine use of the word "blue," Trav.

    However...Englebert Humperdinck??? Bwahahahaha! What a name! He sure must have gotten ribbed for that in school, poor guy! LOL :P

  1. Julie says:

    Good job my friend!

  1. This is a pretty cool way to describe 'blue' :)

  1. How funny that you and Mo didn't crossover with your blues. I'm just surprised you didn't include The Blues Brothers!

  1. Janna says:

    I used to hate Diet Pepsi, but lately I don't mind it...

  1. Janna says:

    And I am taking this moment to admit that I have no idea how to waltz.
    **hangs head in shame**

  1. Anonymous says:

    I LOVED Roy Orbison--what a voice. And the Diet Pepsi, I'll take one too please.

  1. Linda Ronstadt had a hell of a voice, but so did Roy...
    Diet Pepsi? Ack! I can't stand any diet sodas, myself. I'd rather shove a pineapple up my @$$ than drink a diet soda. Not to mention that I'm a Coke addict (not in treatment OR recovery, either.)
    Thanks for sharing the "blues."

  1. Liz Hill says:

    I know you do sugar ;-)

  1. Sorry I'm late. You know why.

    Blue is my favorite color. I guess it's not surprise that the Butler Bulldogs and the Indianapolis Colts have blue in their team colors. Ha!

  1. Jamie: I love Dem Bums.

    Meri: I always used to giggle at that name.

    Julie: Thanks dear!

    Terra: I enjoyed this topic.

    Gracie: You know, I never even thought of Blues Brothers. Shame on me!

    Janna: I like it. Or I'll drink Diet Dr Pepper or Diet Mug Root Beer. You are such a musical person that you would have no trouble at all learning to waltz, and I think you would enjoy it. I've seen guys at ballroom classes, clearly drug there by their wives/girlfriends, and by the second or third song they were enjoying the waltz.

    Bridget: I've got some on ice. Hehehe.

    Lana: My stepdad and I always have a friend discussion over which version is better, Roy's or Linda's. He loves Linda.

    Turn: Hugs.

    Songbird: And we'll sneak in just a touch of red for IU!

  1. TopChamp says:

    All I had for blue was that my little french horn pupil at the moment is playing a blues piece (called blowing blue) just now which I find very funny.

    Jazz french horn! (sniggering again)

  1. TC: So I shouldn't be expecting to hear any French horn jazz eh. Got it.