Trav's Trivia Meme

Posted: Friday, April 25, 2008 by Travis Cody in
48

When I'm flipping channels, it's rare that I'll flip past a John Wayne movie. I'm a big fan of The Duke.

Isn't it odd...the things that stick in your mind? In the original Trivial Pursuit game, there was a question about the eight films in which Duke played a character that died. Not long ago, I was walking past a colleague's office and heard that exact question on the radio.

Would you believe it? The answer popped right into my head.

I'm rambling a bit. I'm also flirting with Mimi's dungeon because I'm not doing another meme today. But wait...this is kind of like a meme. It could be a meme.

It is a meme! I so declare it! It's a Travis Meme. I'll call it Trav's Staying Out Of The Dungeon Trivia Meme.



Wow. I've never made a meme before. What do I do now?

Uhm...rules! That's right! A meme needs 'structions.

OK...here's your 'structions:

Your challenge, should you choose to accept it, is to:

1. Choose a category from one of these: Television, Stage & Screen, Nightly News, Publishing, Lives & Times, Music

2. Find 8 bits of trivia about your selected category

3. Be sure to let me know when...ok, if...you decide to play along so I can see what you come up with.

4. You may tag, or simply offer the meme for borrowing or stealing as you like.

OK...Here's mine!

My category is Stage & Screen and my 8 bits of trivia are about American Icon John Wayne.

These are the 8 Films In Which John Wayne's Character Dies:

Central Airport (1933): In an uncredited role, Duke plays an airline co-pilot killed in a plane crash.

Reap The Wild Wind (1942): Duke plays Captain Jack Stuart, who drowns while battling a giant squid.

The Fighting Seabees (1944): Duke plays Lt. Cmdr. Wedge Donovan, killed by a Japanese soldier.

Wake of the Red Witch (1949): Duke plays Captain Ralls, who drowns.

Sands of Iwo Jima (1949): Duke plays Marine Sgt. John M. Stryker, shot by a sniper on the slopes of Mt Suribachi.

The Alamo (1960): Duke plays Col. Davy Crockett. Crockett is mortally wounded with a spear to the chest, but heroically manages to set fire to a huge store of gunpowder, which explodes and takes out a company of Mexican soldiers. Well, Duke directed the film and that's how he says it happened!

The Cowboys (1972): Duke plays rancher Wil Andersen, who is forced to take a bunch of kids on a cattle drive. After knocking the stuffing out of Bruce Dern, the cattle thief shoots him in the back.

Bonus Trivia: Bruce Dern's role as the psychotic cattle rustler, Asa Watts, who kills John Wayne earned the actor death threats. Duke reportedly told Mr Dern, "They'll hate you for this".

The Shootist (1976): In his final film, Duke plays John Bernard Books, determined to die on his own terms. After seemingly surviving what he had staged as his final gunfight, he is shot in the back by the Metropole bartender.

OH! How about a double bonus?

The Deceiver (1931): Duke plays Richard Thorpe as a corpse.

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962): Duke plays Tom Doniphon, who has died at the beginning of the film.

I hope you'll play along. But even if you don't, I had fun creating my first meme.

I've still got several more memes in the queue, so I'll be getting to those soon.

Have a great weekend!

48 comments:

  1. Jeni says:

    Although I personally hate doing memes, I do really love to read them, especially when they are as well done as this one was! Really interesting Trav. I learned a lot and enjoyed all the trivia stuff. You done good, my friend!

  1. So, you think creating a fake dungeon and slapping a meme name on it is going to keep you out of the REAL dungeon?!

    Oh please.

    I'm wise to this. I know a good meme when I see one. And darnnit...this is a good one. Sigh.
    Ergo. I shall meme it. Hence, avoiding my own dungeon.

    That was some clever trick there, Travis....

  1. P.S. Congratulations on your very first meme! It's awesome!

  1. Liz Hill says:

    Hmmmm a meme with trivia?? I'm not sure it's my thing *giggling*

  1. Ivanhoe says:

    I cannot believe they used to kill a hero in the movies that often. It's all happy endings nowadays...
    So if I wanted to do this meme, I have to make up a question out of said categories and list eight answers, right?

  1. Oh, fun, I'll see if I can pull something together this weekend!

    I love John Wayne movies too -- especially the Cowboys and the Shootist.

  1. he had nine lives, didn't he trav???

    smiles, bee
    xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

  1. Jeni: Thanks!

    Mimi: Who me? I'm innocent I say! Innocent! It's an accidental meme!

    Turn: Well I hope you'll muddle through with something so unfamiliar. Hehehehe!

    Ivanhoe: That's one way to do it. Or you could just pick a category and find 8 odd things about it. It's up to you!

    Joely: Cool!

  1. Schmoop says:

    Fine job, Mr. Man. Have a great weekend Travis. Cheers!!

  1. DrillerAA says:

    This one looks like a lot of fun. I just need a little time to come up with a catagory that I actually know the answer to eight questions.

  1. Sandee says:

    Leaving soon for the boat. I'll play along after the weekend Travis. How fun. Have a great weekend. :)

  1. Congrats on your 1st meme. Wish I had time to participate, but I barely have time to visit the blogs on my roll these days! <:( I do know one bit of trivia off the top of my head; Elvis recorded 649 songs.

  1. WOOOOOO HOOOOO TRAVIS!

    nicely done... see I just break out of the dungeon and then help others escape and blow raspberries at Mimi...

    LOL

    I will take a crack at this one...

    OOO OOO..can we mix categories?

  1. Anndi says:

    You've reminded me that I owe the Queen a meme... better get to it before the trolls roast me on a spit.

    But I may do this... As Dana would say, they don't make men like John Wayne anymore (except for a few choice men like my honey and your fine self...)

  1. Blow raspberries? Help people escape? The nerve!!!

    There's a special room in hell reserved for such. *&*%$#$%!!
    OK.
    I'm over it.

  1. j says:

    I'm in, just not today. I have published a monster of a post today with a GO-Zillion photos of my kiddo and I think it is time to give Blogland a break from me. Tomorrow? Sunday? I'll let you know when it is up!

    And Yeah, this was COOL! You done good man, you done good.

    Jen

  1. Kimmie says:

    Congratulations Trav!
    This is a fun meme! I may have to try it also!
    Have a great weekend!
    Smiles,
    Kimmie

  1. Bee: Perhaps, but they finally caught up to him in the end.

    Matt: And same to you Sir.

    Drilleraa: Give it some thought and let me know.

    Sandee: Have fun on the boat!

    Lana: No worries! But if time permits, give it a try.

    V: Taunting the Queen again? Feel free to mix away.

    Ann: I hope you give it a shot.

    Mimi: **ducks**

    Jennifer: YAY! Take your time.

    Kimmie: It was fun...but then I had an advantage because I had the answers before I accidentally made the meme!

  1. Linda says:

    I likey! I likey! And I shall definitely get to this just as soon as I have an extra moment or two (maybe it will be slow enough at work tomorrow that I can find 8 things while I'm there and have it all formulated before I get home!).

    As for the Duke, great bit of trivia, I only knew about The Alamo, The Fighting Seabees, and The Shootist.

  1. Gene Bach says:

    No way could anyone NOT like John Wayne!

  1. You know why you get tagged with so many memes? You're such a good sport, you always participate, and you are just so clever in your answers! (AND you always find a way to mention CAKE, so how can that be wrong?)

  1. Linda: Excellent! I'm looking forward to it!

    Gene: Would you believe there are some who don't? Really!

    Songbird: Awwwww shucks.

  1. Oh boy, Travis I like this! Okay I'll play. Look for my contribution later today... :D

  1. Okay Trav, I've done mine. Come see what I've done!

  1. Meribah says:

    Ah, The Duke! My dad loves his movies.
    Hmmm, I might not want to do this meme, due to the amount of work that might be involved...or do I? LOL :P

  1. TopChamp says:

    Oh... so sad that he dies in so many. I want to see the squid film (Reap The Wild Wind).

    This meme will be interesting - shouldn't be many people saying the same thing as the scope's pretty wide. I like.

  1. Ooh I like this and will take a stab at it. I'll let you know when to come around for a peek.

    Because of its opening, The Shootist could only have starred one man. What is unique about it?
    (No cheating by playing the DVD)

  1. TopChamp says:

    Hi - mine's up. I had fun... I was listening to an album earlier and this gave me an excuse to dig out other stuff and get some facts straight.

  1. Jan says:

    Travis...Just had to tell you that I met John Wayne many years ago. He was making a film in Wilson, LA. My Mom let me miss school so I could go meet him. He was filming on the property of my uncle who was the mayor of Wilson at the time.I was always a big fan of his and will never forget our meeting!

  1. I'm not sure I know 8 items about anything, except maybe food.

  1. Shelby says:

    John Wayne is an all time favorite of mine. Great great actor.

  1. Jeff B says:

    Hey, you're a meme maker. Nice one.

    John Wayne was truly a man's man. I always enjoy catching one of his movies when they come on. Doesn't seem to matter how many times I've seen it either.

  1. Those are fun! I will be pondering this one tonight and be back when I have it.

  1. Linda says:

    Alrighty then, I have done your meme and you can find it on my blog right here if you'd like to come over and take a look-see!

    Thanks for making up this meme, Travis, it's was a good one!

  1. This is a great idea for a meme Trav. I'll try to do it pretty soon.

  1. Akelamalu says:

    Hey Trav that's a great meme you created! I'm gonna do this one soon!

  1. Teach: Thanks for playing! I really enjoyed your answers!

    Meri: C'mon! Sure you want to do this one!

    TC: I think you're right...there should be quite the variety of answers.

    Jamie: I can't wait to see yours. As to your question, I suppose they could have used another series of clips, but I can't see anyone else in the role. The role was made for Duke.

    TC: Thanks for playing!

    Tookie: That must have been some experience!

    Charles: I suppose I could add a category.

    Shelby: He was a true movie star.

    Jeff: Completely accidental and unexpected meme maker am I.

    Starr: Cool!

    Linda: Thanks for playing!

    Misty: YAY!

    Akelamalu: Excellent!

  1. Julie says:

    Gee good looks and smart too! You birthed a meme! WOW!

    Ummm Mimi? Methinks the wolf wanted to be in th dungeon with the queen!

  1. This looked like too much fun to pass up. We've done it...

  1. Ivanhoe says:

    My trivia is up! It was fun!

  1. That was fun! Mines up Trav =)

  1. I've joined in and I must say it was an interesting meme. Reading what others have posted and having a go at their trivia questions were fun too :)
    Thanks for the meme! Have a good day!

  1. Sandee says:

    I've finally finished this meme. I hope you will let me out of your dungeon now. Tags, Tags and More Tags. Have a great day Travis.

  1. Anonymous says:

    I was tagged by Mimi, Travis. My trivia is about trends in the music industry. I was asked to do one on publishing, so I'll probably do that next week.

    Thanks for hosting!
    http://www.on-a-limb.com/?p=1290

  1. here's mine!

    http://www.shebecameabutterfly.net/?p=414

  1. Hi just letting you know Ive played
    you can find mine here http://my3boysandi.wordpress.com/2008/05/08/trivia-meme/
    Jen

  1. Anonymous says:

    I've played too!
    You can find it