Cyd Charisse (8 Mar 1922 - 17 June 2008)

Posted: Wednesday, June 18, 2008 by Travis Cody in
20

Cyd Charisse died today from an apparent heart attack. She was 87.

I'm on record as saying that I don't really care for dance styles that are heavy on posing. But when you make it look this beautiful, romantic, and effortless...then by all means please pose.



She danced with the very best, and should be counted among the very best herself.



This is why I love dance shows. There is talent like this in today's modern world. It's just dancing a different style. And it needs a venue to be seen.



Well, my Lakers couldn't man up against Boston's ferocious defense. They swarmed Kobe and the other guys just didn't make enough plays to take the pressure off him.

As well as Boston played, it was a piss poor showing in an elimination game by the Lakers. What was the point of even flying across country if they weren't going to bother to compete?

And so the Celtics are champs, winning the Finals 4 games to 2.

Ppppppppfffffffffftttttttttttt.

Even though these Finals ended in disappointment for Lakers fans, we can still celebrate an outstanding season and positive prospects for 2008-09. Kobe is the reigning NBA MVP, the core of this team is young and under contract, and there is every chance to think that Andrew Bynum will rehab well and that he can be a dominant center in this league for many years.

Thus completes year 33 for me as a Lakers fan. I'm looking forward to year 34.

20 comments:

  1. TopChamp says:

    A bit of singing in the rain??? Can't beat it. Sad that she died but that's a pretty good age really. Actually have that film on the dvd rack - there's something to fill the rest of the day now THE ACCOUNTS ARE FINISHED!!!!!!!!! (can you tell I'm excited?)

    Good luck to your team for next season - that's a positive response you have there x

  1. DrillerAA says:

    I watched some of the game last night. If you were a Lakers fan, that was painful.
    I do enjoy the dance shows, SYTYCD & DWTS. They are entertaining. I like the elegance and engery that can be found in the ballroom dancing as well the athletic power and grace to be seen on the other show.

  1. Patti says:

    A lovely tribute to Cyd Charisse. She was a beautiful dancer, a classic in the best sense of the word. I agree she made it look effortless.


    P.S. My husband is a Celtics fan. Sorry, Trav.

  1. I heard about her death. I still remember thinking she sure did have great legs.

  1. Danielle says:

    Cyd was born on my birthday. I love the old dancing clips for sure.

    It is so funny that whenever Boston is in the finals my friend happens to come by and he watches the game.

    It's a proud day for native Bostonians!

    In light and love

    Danielle

  1. Sandee says:

    She was beautiful and she could dance too. Excellent Travis. Have a great day sweetie. :)

  1. Travis, I didn't know she died. Not a word on the TV! But what I want to know is how the heck they kept that scarf flying... Now I can see why you're such a fan of dancing with the stars!

    Thanks for your words about the peep shoes Boy am I blushing... :">

  1. Anonymous says:

    Like I told Jamie, She was one heck of a dancer!

  1. I need to look at the videos when i get home.

    We already discussed the NBA...It really was sorrowful to watch the second half...

  1. Came back for the videos and YOWZA

    Legs from here to there...and she knew how to use them

  1. TC: It's one of my favorite musicals! And she did have a right long life.

    Drilleraa: Painful doesn't even begin to describe it.

    Patti: No need to be sorry. The Celtics played like champions dangit.

    Charles: LEGS LEGS LEGS LEGS LEGS! Yes she sure did indeed.

    Danielle: YAY for youtube. I watched some clips yesterday I hadn't seen, although I decided to post a couple of my favorites.

    Sandee: Yes she could!

    Teach: They used a huge fan, and the choreography was wonderful to keep them centered on it.

    Lois: She was indeed.

    V: Pitiful. And YOWZA is correct!

  1. What is remarkable is that she didn't stop dancing. Did you see this Janet Jackson video where Cyd Charisse does a cameo? The legs were great and at 70 she could still get them up there.

    All Right

  1. Linda says:

    Ah, "Singing in the Rain" - love it! And just once in my life I wish I could've moved like Cyd Charisse did. She didn't so much move as she flowed.

    A lovely tribute to a lovely dancer!

  1. Jeff B says:

    Sorry your Lakers didn't finish it off like they could have.

    Just took in your road trip post too. We're getting ready to do a bit of that next week too.

  1. Lisa Ryan says:

    Nice tribute Travis. She had a lot of talent - and those long legs!

  1. Akelamalu says:

    Oh those legs! What I wouldn't give for a pair of pins like those!

  1. Cyd Charisse was from my hometown of Amarillo, Tx. I plan to mention her in my next My Town Monday post.

  1. Jamie: I enjoyed that video. Thanks for leaving the link.

    Linda: She had the whole package.

    Jeff: The bastards!

    Lisa: Yup yup!

    Akelamalu: "Pair of pins"! What a great phrase! It sure beats "set of gams".

    Travis: Very cool.

  1. Anndi says:

    Her performances were some of the most mesmerizing. I actually spant quite a bit of time watching clips of hers a couple of weekends ago.

    This was one of the things that made my week not so great.

    I'm not certain there is another female dancer I admire quite this much.

    Thank you for sharing

  1. Julie says:

    Okay.....I finally got to watch these videoes and I must admit that I really didn't know who Cyd Charisse was and I was SO entertained!

    The clips from dance were wonderful also.