People help MDA because MDA helps people

Posted: Tuesday, September 02, 2008 by Travis Cody in
20

Americans can be cynical. Americans can be self-righteous. Americans can be loud, obnoxious, stubborn.

Americans are also generous.

Firefighters collected over $27.5 million for MDA this year.

Corporate sponsors from Safeway ($9.7m) to Harley Davidson (over $6m) to Citgo ($11.8m) and many others raised millions more. This money funds the ongoing research that has provided so many breakthroughs in gene identification and now gene therapies and other drugs to come ever closer to cures for muscular dystrophies.

This is how clincial research is about to become clinical drug therapy trials for a possible treatment and potential cure for ALS, or Lou Gherig's disease, which is one of the most insidious and debilitating of all muscular dystrophies, and has always been fatal within a matter of a few short years of diagnosis.

This is also how a small clinical trial has progressed to a larger, global trial of a treatment and potential cure for Duchenne muscular dystrophy, which attacks young boys and generally claims their lives by their early 20s.

And private citizens called in over $65 million in pledges to help fight the 40 neuromuscular diseases. This money funds patient care. It provides wheel chairs and braces, and it sends kids to MDA camps. This money means hope.

I have done volunteer work for this excellent organization. And I send my money every year. If you haven't already done so, I encourage you to send a few dollars. You can donate throughout the year by going to the MDA website.

Jerry Lewis has championed this cause for 58 years, 43 years on television with the telethon. The first Labor Day telethon in 1966 raised $1 million.

Please give till it helps.

Update: I managed to get ahead in my certificate program this weekend. YAY me! I'm going back to bury my head again. See ya soon!

20 comments:

  1. DrillerAA says:

    As I mentioned once in my blog, I have a friend that is literally in the final stages of ALS. The fight has only been about 18 months long. Sept. 27 there will be a walk for ALS and his friends/team have already committed over $6000 to the cause. The local chapter is giving us our own tent, because there are so many of us on his team. I am hoping we top $10,000 just on his behalf. Thank you for your post.

  1. Schmoop says:

    Burying your head is fine but come up for air once in awhile. Cheers!!

  1. Ivanhoe says:

    Our firefighters were out there all weekend long with their boots collecting the money for MDA. They were at big intersection and had signs up "Voluntary Toll". I watched them for a while, about every other car gave them $.

  1. Anndi says:

    This was something I always watched with Mom... I can't anymore, but I always give.

    You rock bro.. you just plain rock!

  1. Linda says:

    A great post for a great cause.

    And by the way, don't bury yourself too deeply! Come up for air once in awhile!

  1. Akelamalu says:

    Don't bury your head for too long will you honey?

    That's a great cause you work for.

  1. Sandee says:

    My mother died from ALS. I'm so with you on this Travis. Excellent honey. Big hug to you and Pam. :)

  1. MDA is a great organization and I have helped in the past.

    EXCELLENT on getting ahead...it means we see you out in the bloggosphere and we like seeing you

  1. Wonderful post. We really need to get a handle on some of these insidious diseases, NOW.
    Best wishes on your study and for a speedy return! You grace us with your presence...
    ~~~Blessings~~~

  1. Nice to see you pop up. Good thing I'm not in a "Whack a Mole" mood.

    *blink, blink*

    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

  1. Kimmie says:

    I remember when I was a young girl, our mother sent us out with our little cans to collect for the Jerry Lewis Telethon. I remember one year mom and dad taking us downtown to what I remember as being "the telethon". I don't know if it was ever held in Buffalo or if it was a satelight. I do remember seeing Delta Reese performing and that there were alot of people and music. I was very young and mom isn't here to answer my questions right now.

    Anyway, all my life I have watched the telethon and I have always pledged and given. It does matter and I applaud you at your dedication to this/these causes.

    I am tired of people poking fun at Jerry's Telethon. He is a true Hero to me. And I believe he is to you also Travis. What he has done over all these years is remarkable. Helping to find a cure and to love doing it is what defines him. I hope to see him for years to come. I will keep watching his telethon and I will always Thank God for Jerry Lewis.

    Thanks Travis for all that you do for this cause. You are also my Hero.
    Hugs,
    Kimmie

  1. j says:

    HEY! You are back!

    It breaks my heart that it is even necessary. I just can't imagine the anguish that the parents go through as well as the kids in dealing with this disease.

    Heart of Gold you have, Travis. I will make a point to donate.

    Jen

  1. j says:

    Oops. Missed the head burying.

    :(

    Well, post and visit as you can. Blogland needs you.

  1. Yay for Travis and his studying. But we miss ya when you're not around ya know....just sayin'....

  1. Wow, those are some phenomenal numbers! We always watched growing up. Great cause. Really.

  1. Kimmie says:

    Hi Travis!

    I have something for you at my blog.
    Smiles,
    Kimmie

  1. Anonymous says:

    **From a kiosk in North Sydney** Nice new look there, Trav!
    Yup, yup, yup. Everyone should give to worthwhile charities or help out in some other way. Close to a cure is good, but actually having a cure is better!

    From the Mind of Meribah

  1. Keep up the good work Travis! MDA is an excellent charity! Thanks for visiting my post...

  1. Hey,SPORT,I have an award for you on my blogger site come and get it!

  1. I was surprised to learn (after Katrina,) that more money was collected & donated by school children than all of the corporate donators COMBINED. More power to these charities, however, regardless of where they get the financing!