Heatwave

Posted: Wednesday, July 29, 2009 by Travis Cody in
16


I know what you're thinking. He can't possibly put a positive spin on a heatwave.

Yes he can.

It's been in the 90's over the past several days. I know a lot of my readers would consider that mild weather for late July. After all, it's been in the 100's in the southern and southwestern states. And the eastern states are about to head into the dog days of summer...when temps and humidity soar.

But I live in the pacific northwest...the land of reasonable and mild summers...where that first tick up to 90 degrees sends the natives into paroxysms of dismay because it's JUST TOO DAMN HOT. I look at poor Mr Tucker and he just wants me to make it go away.

We don't have air conditioning.

But here's where the positive comes in. This kind of heat historically only lasts from three days to two weeks at most. And those days often don't come in a row. And when this heatwave has run it's course, temps will take a drastic dip down to the 70's before settling in the mid-80's through most of the rest of the summer.

We don't need air conditioning. We just need to get through the worst of the hot.

It was 97 yesterday. It could reach 100 today.

No A/C.

Positive Day comes from the mind of a terrific 12 year old. She's the daughter of my blog pal Jennifer at Dust Bunny Hostage. The idea is explained in this post. Please consider joining us on Friday, 31 July, and reward a young girl's faith in humanity.

16 comments:

  1. It's nice to know that there's a possibility of the temperature getting cooler after a heat wave.

  1. Anonymous says:

    John the group...We don't have A/C either but of course we have the nice tradewids, which is always positive :)

  1. Cheesy says:

    4 days of 100+ in JULY is more than I can bear....I'm with the Tuckster~Make it go away

  1. When it hits 100 you NEED air conditioning!!!

  1. Anonymous says:

    Trav, the other positive thing is that some folks like the heat. They gotta have their days as well...LOL!

  1. Can Mr. Tucker go sit in the car with the AC on?

  1. Raven says:

    I just heard about this strange Pacific NW weather and popped by to wish you well. Here in upstate New York, we have not been having summer this year. Yesterday was the first day that even approached feeling like summer and that was more humidity than heat.

    Good that you are holding a positive attitude. Good cooler offer. Get some Witch Hazel, refrigerate it and put it onto a washcloth or paper towel. Lay it on your forehead or the back of your neck. Cools you down right away. I happen to like the smell too. Has rare good childhood memories associated with it.

    Stay cool. I hope this heat wave passes quickly.

  1. Jeni says:

    Actually, this year -in this vicinity anyway -a heatwave is a bit of a welcome thing since we have not had much of what one would call "summer" here this year. It seems all we've seen in abundance has been rain, and then, more rain. I'm not totally complaining as my garden has been thriving for sure but a few more sunny days, warm enough to take a dip, would have been nice.

  1. It's hot here too! The A/C broke but we still have water!

  1. I heard about this heat wave. amazing. Down here, of course, AC means life.

  1. I remember the first time I entered my apartment in Bremerton and noticed that there was no air conditioner. I thought it was weird. Now I know that heat is not the norm for you guys, but back then it seemed very strange.

  1. Anonymous says:

    100. Ack. Just saying.

    I love whoever invented air conditioning. I'm Positive of it! :-D

  1. Meribah says:

    Send some of that hotness eastwards, would yuh? The puppy could use some! :P

  1. I can't imagine life without air conditioning. I guess that's what happens fropm 40-plus years living in the South.

  1. Terra: Yes it is. It hit 105 today.

    Thom: Do the tradewinds at least blow cooler air?

    Cheesy: He seems to have done ok today.

    Driller: I know! But it'll never pay for itself when it's only 100 once or twice a year.

    Lois: That's true. But I don't know any of those people here!

    V: I guess he could...but then I'd have to clean up the yak. LOL!

    Raven: Thanks for the idea. I've got a cool wet towel across my lap right now, otherwise I'll never get through my Dance review tonight.

    Jeni: I like northwest summers. Normal temps for this time of year are mid to high 70s. That works for me.

    NNG: Water helps!

    Charles: I know what you mean. Up here it just means mostly unnecessary expense.

    Songbird: It was a bit strange for me too. But I've been here nearly 5 years now and there have only been a double handful of days when I wish I'd had it.

    Barb: ACK is correct.

    Meri: You can have all of it.

  1. Linda says:

    I wish that we could say that the heat and humidity here in the Northeast only lasts so long and then goes away but alas ... that's usually just not the case. I honestly don't mind heat all that much but the humidity just leaves you feeling like a wrung out dishrag.

    I finally got around to putting the small a/c unit in my bedroom window but have yet to figure out the logistics to put the bigger unit in the window in Amanda's room. I think I may need to borrow someone else's back for a bit!

    Hope it cools down for you soon! And for poor Mr. Tucker!