The Queen's Meme #22

Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2010 by Travis Cody in
11



Yup...I'm doing the meme thing two weeks in a row.

The Queen's Meme #22 - Come on Baby, Light My Fire

Before you get carried away and let your mind wander down a trail of romantic and erotic intrigue, stop. We're not talking about that kind of fire. Not today anyway. We're talking about intellect, entertainment and adventure.

I'd like you to take a look at the what makes you happy and brings you joy. Pretend you are talking to a new friend. Answer the questions as enthusiastically as you can and share with your friend what lights your fire. Recommend your favorites, what you're passionate about - and tell us why. If it's too hard to choose just one, narrow it down to the best of the best. Everyone who reads your answers will not only get a better sense of who you are but we might be inspired to check it out upon your expert recommendation. I like learning something new everyday. If you open the door of my imagination, I just might step through. Tell me!

1. Which historical figure do you admire the most? Why?

He was born, lived, and died in the last century, so I guess he qualifies as historical.

The historical figure I most admire is Audie L Murphy. He was the most decorated veteran of World War II. I admire him because of his determination. He came from a dirt poor Texas family. He joined the Army because no other service wanted an undersized, underfed, scrawny little kid who never finished high school. He never gave up, earned an assignment to a front line combat unit, and spent the war taking care of "his" soldiers. He won every possible medal for valor, including the Medal of Honor and Purple Heart with two oak leaf clusters signifying that he was wounded in combat three times. One of those wounds kept him from his dream of attending West Point and making a career of the Army. After he left the Army he went to Hollywood and carved out a credible career as an actor.

Audie Murphy died in a plane crash in 1971 at the age of 44.

2. Name the band or artist you'd like to see live in concert before you leave the planet or tell us about a concert or album that has already rocked your world.

I am a proud member in good standing of the Soul Patrol, but I've never had a chance to see that gray haired soul man perform live. I saw him in the show Grease on stage, and he sang Seven Mile Breakdown after the show. But that's not a full concert.

So I would like to see Taylor Hicks.



3. What's your favorite television show or series of all time? Why should I care?

Sometimes I have trouble picking an all time favorite in a category, but not when it comes to television. My favorite show of all time is The West Wing.

Why should you care? Well why not!!!



4. Movies! I am so behind on the movie scene. What should I watch this weekend? Should I watch it alone or with someone?

I don't know what's good in the theater right now, but the movie that just popped into my head as I was copying and pasting this question was The Goodbye Girl, starring Richard Dreyfuss and Marsha Mason.

Rent that...you'll laugh and cry and get a warm fuzzy.

5. You are hopping on a plane tomorrow morning. Where did you choose to go and why?

We're going to New York City to have some great food and see some great theatre!

6. Who is your favorite author? What about their writing inspires you or simply entertains you? Recommend at least one book that you feel I must read.

I'll have to go with J.R.R. Tolkien. As many times as I've read Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit, both works never fail to transport me. My mind goes elsewhere.

7. Hobbies and passions. What brings you joy in your spare time? How did you get into it?

I guess collecting and reading books is my hobby. I've always enjoyed reading. But I never enjoyed going to the library and checking out books, because I had to take them back. Once I get a book in my hands, I want to keep it.

So I spend way more money than I should on them, and they take up way too much room in my condo. And it takes at least 50 medium sized boxes to move them.

But you'll never convince me to part with any of them. And that goes for Pam's books too.

11 comments:

  1. Anonymous says:

    I'll answer #2...
    Michael Franks is my favorite all-time musician.

  1. Anonymous says:

    You and my husband could be related... :)

  1. Anonymous says:

    I am SOOOOOOO with you on the West Wing!!!!! I'll have to think about this and then come up with the rest of my answers. Sorry I didn't get to play #21, though I thought that sounded like fun, too. I can still play catch up if I get to my bookshelf.

  1. Hum, good questions. Historical figures is hard. I like a lot of human beings but I don't have a lot of high level respect for many humans because they are all...well...human. Most of my heroes are fictional.

    Favorite TV show of all time would have to be the original Star Trek. Great message and great fun.

    Movies. hum, I don't pay much attention to them. I find them to be throw away entertainment.

    Favorite writer. That's a hard one. I have a lot of respect for the work of many writers, especially, I guess, Robert E. Howard, Ray Bradbury, John D. MacDonald, and many others.

  1. I adore LOTR =)

    And I love The Goodbye Girl. The girl who played her daughter and I are about the same age and we looked like twins at the time that movie came out.

  1. Dianne says:

    The West Wing!! Yes!!!
    what wonderful writing and an incredible ensemble cast
    the clip you posted is one of my favorites

    Goodbye Girl was a great movie

  1. Excellent choices on historical figure, TV program, movie and trip. I have been lucky enough to see Taylor in concert...so I guess mine would be the concert we are holding tickets for in march - ERIC CLAPTON!.

    Never seen him live and could not pass up the chance.

  1. my band would have to be the Moody Blues.
    The west Wing was an enjoyeble show.if I had to pick a cop show it would be Hill St.Blues.
    You had a great posting and a good time for reflections on our diversity and the thing in commen that we have.

  1. "The Goodbye Girl" was a great flick. Thanks for sharing all the info in this post. Very interesting. :)

  1. I feel the same way about the library. Tolkien is you. Yep. I see that in your writing and your thought processes. It's there.

    You'll get to see Taylor. He'll come 'round your way one of these days.

    Thanks for playing!

  1. I agree with about my books. I don't want to part with them, even though they are taking up more space than I have for them.

    And you know how much I like The West Wing. I love the scene you posted. It was great. I still miss that show.

    For who I would most want to see in concert, if we could pick anyone I would have to go with the Beatles. Just to see them would be beyond words.

    Favorite writer would be Harlan Ellison.

    And I've always had a soft spot for The Goodbye Girl.

    And a side note to Vinnie...I've got tickets for Clapton in March too. Like you I've never seen him and couldn't pass on the chance this time.