Five on Friday Set 9

Posted: Friday, March 26, 2010 by Travis Cody in
17



Some vocalists just make me smile. Bobby Darin is one of those. He was also one of my Gram's favorites. So whenever I hear his voice, I think of my Gram.

I'm dedicating Set 9 to my fiery red headed grandmother, who passed on 1 April 1986. I miss you.


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones


Here's a bonus. Not only did Mr Darin have a velvety smooth singing voice. Not only could he write beautiful folk songs. But he had a prodigious talent as an actor.

Warning...if you take the 10 minutes to watch this clip, beware. It's from a movie called Captain Newman MD. Gregory Peck stars as a doctor assigned to treat cases of combat fatigue during WWII. Mr Darin was nominated for an Oscar for his portrayal of Cpl. Jim Tompkins, a waist gunner on a bomb crew who survived a horrific experience when his plane was shot down.

In the clip, Tompkins relives his experience under the influence of sodium pentothal. It's worth your time, but difficult to watch. In context of the film action, this scene kind of sneaks up on you. The first time I saw the movie, I had to pause it after watching this.



If you decide to play, read the guidelines for this feature here and don't forget to sign Mr Linky so I can collect you!

17 comments:

  1. I will definitely be back to watch the clip once I get home, Travis. Thanks ahead of time for including it.

    Beyond the Sea and Mack the Knife are my favorites from your list today - and so wonderful to discover a favorite singer of your grandmother's.

  1. Bobby Darin was an enormous talent in a great big hurry because death was chasing him throughout his life. I had the good fortune to meet him once when the movie "Come September" premiered at the Paradise theater where I was checking. That night Darin and Rock Hudson were in attendance. Have you seen Kevin Spacey as Darrin in "Beyond The Sea"?

  1. I think I might be playing wrong-I have a mix of people on mine...but right or wrong, mine's up! :)

  1. Anonymous says:

    I'm singing with y'all today. "It's far beyond the star. It's near beyond the moon . . . " That's sweet that you think of your Gram!!! This Gram recognizes Bobby Darin, too!

  1. Marilyn says:

    I'm not playing along but I always like listening. I really like Bobby Darin.

  1. Travis, I love Bobby Darin, his singing and he was a pretty good actor too! I have my 5 on Friday up for you! :)

  1. j says:

    I'm going to skip the video. I trust you that it's good but I need levity today.

    Bobby Darin's voice was awesome. I love Beyond the Sea especially.

    Have a great weekend Travis!

  1. Julia: She's been on my mind quite a bit recently.

    Jamie: I'll have to get the movie. I usually enjoy Kevin Spacey.

    Mags: There's no wrong way!

    GGG: Bobby Darin and Grams...an excellent combination!

    Marilyn: He's definitely cool.

    Mary: I'll be cruising by soon!

    Jennifer: Good decision...the clip is definitely not light.

  1. OMG, Travis - that clip was awesome!! No wonder he got an Oscar nom. There are two camera set-ups for his monologue, one overhead and one in profile, which means he had to do the scene at minimum twice, but realistically more than that. That exhausts me, just thinking of it. Really amazing scene. Thank you so much for finding it and posting it - I'd never heard of this film.

    Quite trippy to see a doctor handing a patient a cigarette. Ah, the good ole days.

  1. Dianne says:

    Bobby Darin had a wonderful voice
    and a great stage persona
    so smooth

    I love Beyond The Sea

  1. Linda says:

    Ah, "Mack the Knife" - my all-time favorite Bobby Darin song. He had such a smooth voice that he was definitely easy to listen to.

    I'm sure your grandmother loved this dedication no matter where she may be!

  1. Your Gram would be proud of you today. I'm sure she always was. Ahhh...redheaded and fiery. I like!

  1. Akelamalu says:

    I love that Bobby Darin song.

    Thanks for your kind comments whilst I've been absent, it means a lot. :)

  1. Marsha says:

    Captain Newman, M.D. is an excellent movie!! And this is one of Darin's better acting efforts as most of his movies were a bit of fluff...this wasn't.

  1. OK...I am not sure why it has taken so long, but I am going to join in on this...I love Mr. Darin and Beyond The Sea is my favorite song

  1. Julia: I can't imagine how he did that one time.

    Dianne: Beyond the Sea makes me smile every time.

    Linda: She loved to play his records.

    Mimi: Gotta love those red heads!

    Akelamalu: I'm glad things are going better for you and your family.

    Marsha: He was even good in the fluff pieces though.

    V: Sweet! Can't wait to see what you come up with.

  1. Marsha says:

    One of my favorites is "If a Man Answers"...with wife Sandra!