Take This Tune

Posted: Monday, April 19, 2010 by Travis Cody in
9



Take This Tune is a feature hosted by my pal Jamie at Duward Discussion. Jamie puts up a video prompt complete with lyrics to the song, and the task is to find another song or to write something inspired by the title of the song or something in the lyrics.

I really enjoy participating in Jamie's feature because of where the prompts take my thoughts and emotions. This week's prompt is called places in the rear view mirror. There are three songs offered with lyrics that talk about home towns or small towns, or places left behind on the road to somewhere else.

I think what I'd like to convey today is the sense that although we may leave a place or a time behind because the events that happened there are too painful to live with every day, the place or time is still part of us. Some people can move forward with the memories tucked securely away. Others hold the memories close in heart and mind, never wanting to lose the nearness.

It's been 15 years since the domestic terrorist bombing of the Alfred P Murrah Federal Building in downtown Oklahoma City, Oklahoma on 19 April 1995. Whether you were a distant observer on that day or a much closer witness to it, please spare a moment to remember the 149 adults and 19 children killed in the attack.



Please also give thought and thanks to the emergency first responders and the rescue workers who did their best to find and help survivors.

Think as well of the investigators who processed the evidence in order to bring the perpetrators to justice.



May the families and friends of those taken away find peace, today and in all the days to come.


Defiant he stands
To remind of strength unbowed
And the life in spring




Mimi of Mimi Writes has announced the date for the next Blog Blast for Peace. If you're a veteran of the movement, make sure you mark the date, 4 November 2010, and stay tuned for more details. Also feel free to grab this graphic to fly on your sidebar.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, then scroll to the top of my sidebar and click on some of those links. Then visit Mimi. Trust me, you don't want to be left out.

And remember that I and several of my Worker Bee hive mates stand ready to assist with the crafting of Peace Globes. Just shoot me an email or leave a comment and we shall buzz adroitly to your assistance!



I believe that words have power, so this matters!

9 comments:

  1. Akelamalu says:

    Some memories are buried but a tune can bring them back to the fore undoubtedly.

    I'll be there on Peace Globe Day. :)

  1. Anonymous says:

    I visited the memorial and the accompanying museum earlier this year. The museum really put that day into perspective. It was well-done.

    I hope we never, ever see an incident like this again... senseless... just senseless.

    Hugs to you!

  1. There are towns we hold in our hearts as if they were home towns and the events of this day, bring Oklahoma City a little closer to everyone. Of course I will be up for the Peace Globes.

  1. This brought back memories. Not all of them pleasant, but all of them necessary.

  1. j says:

    I remember the shock. Heart wrenching.... beautiful remembrance post, Travis.

    Glad to know the date has been set for the next Blog Blast for Peace. I'm in of couse (and I rather like being called a veteran).

  1. Akelamalu: And some commemorative dates sneak up and slide by without acknowledgment. I wanted to make sure I didn't do that for this one.

    Lois: I read your post on your visit. That was a partial inspiration for my post.

    Jamie: Couldn't have said it better.

    Charles: Well said.

    Jennifer: We think 4 Nov will be a permanent date going forward.

  1. 15 years already...wow. Thanks for sharing the memorial. I'd never seen it.

  1. Jeni says:

    You know Travis, all too often words, the wrong ones at the wrong times, etc., are responsible for creating many of the messes civilization is in today so why can't some well placed words also, if enough people eat, breathe and sleep those good words, try to live our lives, each in his/her own place, in a good manner, then be at least a little responsible for turning things around?
    It could happen ya know! Give Peace a chance!

  1. hard to believe it has been 15 years. What a tragic thing.
    <><