Re-dedicating

Posted: Thursday, September 09, 2010 by Travis Cody in
14

This is always a tough time of year for me, as we approach the commemoration of the terrorist attacks of 11 Sept 2001.  I can feel it coming as August turns to September.  As each day passes, I can't help but be retrospective, which leads me to introspection, and then to a new dedication.

Dedication:  The act of binding yourself, intellectually or emotionally, to a course of action. 

So here's what I'm going to do.

  • I'm a kind person.  I like the way being kind makes me feel.  So I shall re-dedicate myself to being kind.
  • I believe that when one is denied the inalienable rights set forth in the Declaration of Independence...life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness...then those rights become meaningless for all.  So I shall re-dedicate myself to advocating for equal rights for all.
  • I was taught that there is honor in service itself, not in the type of service.  So I shall re-dedicate myself to serving in the way that seems best to me.
  • I was taught that knowledge is power.  So I shall re-dedicate myself to learning all kinds of things.
  • I realize that spirituality is a uniquely personal thing, and I understand that not all faiths and forms of spirituality easily stand side by side, and that some may reject any form of faith or spirituality.  So I shall re-dedicate myself to respecting the faith and spirituality, or lack thereof, of all.
  • I believe that hate and prejudice are learned behaviors, mainly based in ignorance and fear.  So I shall re-dedicate myself to becoming more aware of my prejudices, to understanding the root causes of them, and to overcoming and eliminating them. 
  • I was taught that I am responsible for my actions, my words, and my choices.  So I shall re-dedicate myself to positive actions, positive words, and positive choices.  I shall own them all.
  • I believe that diversity need not be divisive.  So I shall re-dedicate myself to the celebration of infinite diversity in infinite combination. 
I'm not perfect.  I'm an idealist.  I strive to be the best person I can be.  And periodically, I need reminders that being a good person requires patience and persistence.


So I shall have the patience and persistence to re-dedicate myself to each of the things I have enumerated, and probably a few other things too.

Peace. 

14 comments:

  1. peace be with you too, Travis... Hugs!

  1. And this, my friend, this post, these words, and the actions that I know will result from these words - THESE are why I admire you.

    Peace be you on the journey, Trav.

  1. Akelamalu says:

    Nice thoughts Trav. :)

  1. Travis I can only imagine a World of peace and love. You said my thoughts exactly. We all need to be reminded from time to time.

    I am flying my flag proudly on 9/11

  1. Well said, man. Although many of us feel in these ways, it really does help us carry out what we think when we make it public to ourselves. I do this kind of thing at times too, usually close to the start of the year.

  1. Jeni says:

    Travis - you are most certainly a very good man, a wonderful person and a cat lover from way back to boot! All excellent traits and admirable ones to have. This post was truly superb! I definitely have to try to get my son to read it and hopefully, absorb your words too as it might put a good bit of redirection and rededication too into his life at a time he really needs a good bit of that to show up for him!
    Thanks again for such an excellent post and your words are so very true!
    Peace! Yes, please, PEACE -is really what we all need and putting your words into practice -well, it's a darned good start in that direction!

  1. Trav: You're a good man. Well said. And I'm glad about your cat, too. I tried to comment yesterday and it didn't go through. GGG

  1. Beautiful sentiment here today my friend. This has been a tough week for me as well (as I know you know)...as I keep staring at the date on the calendar and keep reliving the day.

    PEACE to all

  1. Jamie says:

    Beautifully written and wise words for all of us to heed.

  1. Dana says:

    You are an incredible person and I can't imagine that you think you need to improve! Hehe!

  1. Lois: Right back atcha.

    Songbird: Awww shucks.

    Akelamalu: Thanks.

    Pam: I've always been introspective; more as I get older.

    Charles: I think we have to say it before we can do it. Put the idea into words, then the words to actions.

    Jeni: I think it's in us to do these things. We just have to remind ourselves that we can, and then believe we can, and then just do it.

    GGG: I do try.

    V: The images parked right in the front of my mind several days ago.

    Jamie: I think it's important that we each try to do what is in us to do.

    Dana: Awwww! We can all use a little improvement once in awhile.

  1. Julie says:

    It's all about growing and being a better person. Very good, Travis!

  1. carol g says:

    Thank you for the wise, insightful & poignant words... (I found you through Jamie of Duward Discussion).

  1. I echo Songbird's sentiments. You made me cry.
    Because this is YOU.
    Your words are eloquent.
    Your heart is purely transparent.
    You know how to put complex issues into sharp focus.
    I admire you.
    I am proud to call you my friend.