Five on Friday Set 50

Posted: Friday, January 07, 2011 by Travis Cody in
15



You've played the game Six Degrees of Separation, right?  It's built on the premise that the world is so small, that we can each link to any other person on earth through only six other people.  There's even a game called Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon, in which any actor you name can be traced through six films back to the actor Kevin Bacon.

This week I'm playing my own version of the Six Degrees game for Set 50, with five songs.  Basically, a couple of notes from a melody popped into my head yesterday during my drive home.  I turned the music off and chased the melody until I had a bit more.  That led me to the chorus, and the song title followed.

I rode the last 10 minutes home in silence to make sure I didn't lose the song.  Then I wrote it down as soon as I walked in the door.  After dinner, Pam and I checked to make certain that Playlist.com had the song.  It did.

So this is my version of the Six Degrees game.  I call it Five Degrees of Musical Progression.  It starts with the song I remembered from a couple of notes.  See if you can trace what leads to each succeeding song in the Set.

I'll warn you...I made a couple of leaps you might not follow.  But I'm interested to see what you come up with that links one song to the next.  I'll post my Five Degrees some time next week.


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones





As always, if you'd like to join us in the musical fun, the guidelines are basic and simple.

1. Grab the banner, make your post title Five on Friday, and be sure to link back here.
2. Go to Playlist.com to make your play list of five songs. You may choose a particular theme to share with us, or post random tunes if that's your vibe for the day. You can simply post the play list, or you can add a little summary about what you are sharing.
2a. Don't feel restricted by the tracks listed on Playlist.com. And don't be discouraged if the Embed code won't work. You're welcome to use any type of media to share your Sets.
3. Be sure to sign Mr Linky so everyone can visit your Set.
4. No tags, but feel free to invite your friends to play along if they need a post topic on a Friday.

Go forth and enjoy music!


15 comments:

  1. Woo Hoo - Great listening and a game. Not sure if this is what led you from song to song, but it is what I heard.

    Magnet and Steel - Holding tight and can't let go but then on to

    Landslide - Drawn down the mountain, but thinking about a separation... I don't know which goes to

    By The Time I get to Phoenix - Didn't know I'd Really Go, but left with no return to

    Tender Years - Remembering the love in the past and yearning for the return. Then

    Angel - The Moon and the Deep Blue Sea belonging together but letting the love fly free with the promise of a return.

    -------------

    Now This week I'm speaking French

  1. Hum, I don't think I know Landslide or Angel. This is an interesting exercise though. I may have to give it a try.

  1. Hmm...I will have to think upon this...

    I like Jamie's connections.

  1. Akelamalu says:

    Sorry don't get the connections but I like your choices. :)

  1. j says:

    What Jamie said cause I have NO idea. However, I think the 6th leap should be Juice Newton :)

  1. Okay - here goes:

    Walter Egan - song produced by Lindsay Buckingham

    Stevie Nicks - co-member of Fleetwood Mac with Lindsay Buckingham / battled drug problems

    Glen Campbell - battled drug problems and got in a car crash from DUI in Pheonix, Arizona

    Eddie & the Cruisers - Character disappears in car crash

    Jeff Healey - now passed away and is in the realm of the angels

  1. I enjoyed listening to the set but unfortunately you lost me so I look forward to you explanation next week. peace my friend!

  1. Oh my. I really want an explanation Julia and I really went in different directions --- Help :-)

  1. Linda says:

    Wow, I'll have to listen to this set a couple of times and see if I can see where you skipped and where you took a giant leap instead!

    I like both Jamie and Julia's explanations of how they think you went from Point A to Point B, though!

  1. Jamie: I like your analysis of the feeling in each song. I was definitely aware of the emotional pull of each one to the next.

    Charles: I love Landslide, but I wasn't as familiar with Angel. I liked it when I heard it though.

    Akelamalu: I think the Set is very enjoyable even without the connections.

    Jennifer: Interesting leap!

    Julia: You did a little research and found some different connections. Very nice.

    Mike: I had fun putting this one together.

    Kate: Thanks!

    Jamie: I'll have it for you on Tuesday!

    Linda: I might do this game again sometime. It was fun!

  1. I did wonder if the connections were purely musical, in which case I'm no help at all. I know, that may seem strange coming from me. But if you were to say 'the first one has a chorus with a chord progression of blah-blah-blah', my musical theory is crapola.

    Meanwhile...apparently you could read my Google search tracks no problem...LOL!

  1. Anonymous says:

    Well drat thread! I thought I would check in and see what your thread was. I wasn't any good at this game. But that doesn't mean it wasn't fun to try. Gotta wait til Tuesday, I see. I'll be back!

  1. Glen Campbell was quite a flashback. Part of my teenage years.

    I just noticed your new message bottle in the sidebar. Did you place it there after the Arizona tragedies yesterday or did I miss it before?
    It's beautifully done.

  1. I really need to take that hat off.