Of the people, by the people, for the people

Posted: Saturday, February 12, 2011 by Travis Cody in
9

Photo credit to Khaled Elfiqi/EPA
Perhaps it is inappropriate for me to use a phrase from the Gettysburg Address, a speech given by President Abraham Lincoln on 20 November 1863 to dedicate the cemetery for those who fell at the battle for Gettysburg in July of that year.  Mr Lincoln said in part, "...that we here highly resolve...that this nation...shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, and for the people shall not perish from the earth."

I'm still trying to process events in Egypt.  I know what Egyptians have achieved has nothing to do with me.  Their protest has nothing to do with my way of life.  It isn't a cause for my own celebration.  Anything I write about what Egyptians have done can only sound patronizing or condescending, and I have no wish to sound that way.

Egyptians aren't all that concerned about what I think.  In fact, they'd probably rather I mind my own business.


I do know this...Egyptians have claimed Egypt for Egyptians.  It is a new birth of freedom and it is for Egyptians to determine what happens next.


I respect that.

9 comments:

  1. Jeni says:

    Very true, Travis!

  1. What happens next indeed.

  1. Cherie says:

    It's exciting to consider the possibilities. I've moved from concern to cautious optimism.

  1. Linda says:

    Your words sound quite appropriate to me and I'm sure that President Lincoln would be pleased to know that they apply to another country also.

  1. Akelamalu says:

    One has to respect the power of the people. :)

  1. Excellent statement. Outside of offering assistance if it is requested, there is nothing for us to do. There are times when the US should just bust out. They are in the dangerous phase of trying to eliminate the injustices of the past while establishing a road to the future.

  1. Make that "butt out". Since it isn't June, can't have us busting out all over

  1. Anonymous says:

    I'm with you on the respect.

  1. AngelBaby says:

    It has be proven scientifically that everything has an effect on all of us that happens on this planet. That is why we all feel so strongly for the people because they are just like us. They love freedom too! I agree, let us all give them a lot of respect and awe, after all they did it!

    Love and Blessings,
    AngelBaby