Thursday Thoughts

Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2011 by Travis Cody in
11

I read over the weekend that muffins were invented so people could secretly enjoy CAKE for breakfast.  CAKE for breakfast...like that's a bad thing?

I get that the claims of the Glaceau VitaminWater Zero people are probably exaggerated.  But drinking the sweetened allegedly nutrient enhanced water beverage has done two things...it's got me drinking more water and it's got me off diet soda.  If nothing else, my caffeine intake is way down and my energy levels haven't suffered.  Plus I'm sleeping a little better.  So maybe VitaminWater is just tap water with sweeteners plus artificial coloring and flavoring, but the benefits for me aren't really about vitamins and minerals.

I've got a new colleague at work.  She's picking up the things that I picked up while another co-worker left to pursue a new opportunity.  So what I have to remember as I'm doing a little bit of training is that the things I have found that work for me when I'm doing transactions won't always work for everyone.  So I need to stick to the basic process, then tell the person what I've found that makes things easier for me, and then let her decide what is gong to work best for her as she gets comfortable with the tasks.

Tootsie Pops are awesome.

Memphis found out how tough it is to close out a series on the road in San Antonio last night.  The Grizzlies erased a 16 point deficit and had a 3 point lead with :01.7 left in regulation.  But they made a bad defensive switch and allowed the Spurs to get a wide open look at a 3 point shot to tie the game and force OT.  Then SA jumped out to a quick lead and held it for the win.  The Grizzlies still lead the first round series 3 games to 2 with a chance to close out at home in game 6 on Friday and avoid a game 7 back in San Antonio.

I don't think I've told you lately how much I love my Kindle.  I got it right at the end of July last year.  To date I have purchased and read 50 books.  That's a little over a book a week.  There have been some weekends when Pam and I have been like chain readers.  We'll finish a book and have another ready to download.  Here's how I break it down by genre:
  • Mystery/thriller = 17
  • Science Fiction/fantasy = 18
  • Fiction = 14
  • Non-fiction = 1
My 51st book falls in the mystery/thriller category.  It's called Shakespeare's Trollop, by Charlaine Harris.  She writes the Sookie Stackhouse stories.  I enjoy the way Ms Harris writes and Pam and I have been devouring everything we can find from her.

I've been thinking about finding some kind of graphic for Trav's Thoughts so you can follow along with what I'm reading.  But I'm reading so fast!


So I'm getting another birthday gift this evening.  All I know is that I'm supposed to leave work no later than 15:00 this evening and go straight home.  I shall report on this celebration on Monday.

11 comments:

  1. Anonymous says:

    it's your birthday? Oh my, forgive me for not wishing you a happy birthday! Happy birthday Travis!!!!!!!! Make it an awesome Travismas (hahaha... get it?)

    I've done fairly well off sodas....and I'm mostly off added sweetners (mostly, I still use some stevia every now and then), and I'm totally off flavored coffee creamer. For me it's baby steps! Yay for getting off the soda and caffeine habit!

    Big hugs!

  1. wow, I'd have to leae work early for that. Looking forward to hearing what that present is.

  1. Happy Birthday!
    I'm almost over the caffeine too. Just I am just drinking regular water. I see the sleep differnce as well. Glad you are loving your Kindle. I am still loving going to the Library!
    <><

  1. Jeni says:

    Some good words of wisdom in this post, Trav -especially to the new co-worker. You're so right that what works for each of us may not work for the best for all of us, but not a doggone thing wrong with putting it out there as a suggestion -"You could try this and see if it helps you as much as it did me. It might, might not but that's for you to decide." Hearing something like that from someone who's doing my training in a new position would definitely give me a good feeling -like this person really wants me to succeed!
    And now, go, enjoy the day and here's wishing you the best ever birthday too!

  1. Akelamalu says:

    Happy Birthday Trav!

    I hope the surprise tonight is everything you're wishing for. :)

  1. BeckEye says:

    Tootsie Pops ARE awesome. Especially the raspberry ones.

  1. Cake...breakfast...bad thing? NAH!

    I live in Memphis. My brother is a HUGE Spurs fan. Neither of us has even discussed the series.

    I have to read more.

    I love a secondary birthday present..can not wait to hear what it was..or maybe you won't be able to tell us!

  1. Linda says:

    Sending late birthday wishes and hoping that the celebration continues right through the weekend for you!

    I see nothing wrong with cake for breakfast or leftover pizza, reheated beef stew, or the occasional spaghetti that was for supper the night before! Not that there's anything wrong with "real" breakfast food but leftovers make for a great breakfast and waffles can be an awesome dinner!

    Looking forward to finding out what your birthday surprise was!!

  1. Unknown says:

    I've been wanting a Kindle - Glad you like yours!

  1. Anonymous says:

    Trav: Having trouble commenting again. Loved the muffin/cake thing. Made me smile. But . . . did you know Tootsie Pops came out with a peppermint one at Christmas? Great for dunking in hot chocolate! Just thought I would share. Goognightgram

  1. Lois: It was my birthday on 4/11. And I definitely believe in small victories when it comes to changing long held habits.

    Charles: I can report that the surprise was fantastic.

    NNG: It would be nice to have more time to read library books, but I've always preferred not to have time constrictions on my reading.

    Jeni: That's the approach I've always liked when being trained. I just have to remind myself of it when I'm doing the training.

    Akelamalu: It was and thanks!

    Beck: I have never encountered a flavor I didn't like!

    V: I don't know how you'll fit in more reading, with all the music prep. Perhaps start with reading more about music?

    Linda: I love breakfast for dinner!

    Dana: You should definitely look into getting one. I know how much you enjoy reading, and I've found a Kindle just makes it that much easier.

    GGG: I didn't know about the peppermint one. I'm sorry I missed it!