Cue that theme music!

Posted: Wednesday, March 21, 2012 by Travis Cody in
6

It's encores!


I'm glad there are no results this week.  Everyone danced so well in their first performances.  Even if they hadn't already been guaranteed another dance next Monday before the first eliminations, I'd lobby for it.

We liked a lot about Monday's performances.  It was tough to narrow down my encore selections.  We were pleasantly surprised by every celebrity, and we thought every celebrity had the potential to improve and get even better.  Seriously, I could have shown you all the dances.  But I narrowed it down to 6.

Here's what we really liked.

LEGSSES!  Maria Menounos has them.  And she can dance too.  We enjoyed this subtly sexy but slightly careful Cha Cha Cha from Maria and Derek.  Advance to about 1:12 for the dance, and click here if the video doesn't play.


Although we mostly agreed with Len's scores, we thought he came in a bit low with a 7 for this Cha Cha Cha from Roshon and Chelsie.  We suspect Len takes off a point any time a dancer throws something modern into a dance, regardless of whether it fits the style and the celebrity.  Advance to about 1:20 for the dance, and click here if the video doesn't play.


I didn't know anything about William Levy.  Eye candy?  Indeed...just ask Pam.  But he's got more in the tank, as demonstrated by this outstanding Cha Cha Cha with Cheryl.  Click here if the video doesn't play.


We love Gladys and we're glad she can dance.  Her Cha Cha Cha with Tristan was refreshingly sassy.  Advance to about for 1:10 the dance, and click here if the video doesn't play.


We've got a tie for dance of the night.  One was a complete surprise to me, the other met and exceeded my expectations based on what I knew of the celebrity.  These two dances tied for high score of the night. 

First, let me correct an error I made in my performance recap.  The 26 awarded for each of these routines was not the highest score on a season premier.  Kristi Yamaguchi netted a 27 for her first round routine in Season 6.  Mario Lopez got a 26 in his first routine of Season 3, and  Sabrina Bryan scored a 26 in her first routine of Season 5. 

That's what I get for not researching the facts and confirming what I heard!

I can confirm that Season 14 is the first time no pair scored less than 20.  So we may not have seen the highest score ever on a premier, but we did see some damn fine dancing.  Which brings us back around to my choices for dance of the night.

Our first DOTN selection is the beautifully classic Foxtrot from Katherine and Mark.  This was the surprise, since I knew nothing about her other than that she has a gorgeous voice.  I'll also say that it was nice to see Mark so relaxed and confident with her, rather than dancing beyond her.  Advance to about 1:20 for the dance, and click here if the video doesn't play.


Our second DOTN selection is the classy sophistication of the Foxtrot from Jaleel and Kym.  This was better than I expected, since I know he is an athlete and has plenty of rhythm and musicality.  Advance to about 1:12 for the dance, and click here if the video doesn't play.



Best of all...no one had to go home this week.  We're hoping for more excellence next week!

Later gang!

6 comments:

  1. Barb says:

    I never head of Maria Menounos or Mr. Eye Candy. I mostly live under a rock. :)

    I'm glad they all get another week to dance, too!

  1. Jean(ie) says:

    I lov reading your commentary.. Legsses... cracks me up!

  1. Cherie says:

    Yes, those two foxtrots were pretty darn amazing. Great job by all the dancers, especially for a first night.

  1. TopChamp says:

    wow for Jenkins! I have mixed feelings about her - she's Welsh... which makes her OK. I think she's a pretend opera singer - don't believe she could do an opera. Don't believe she ever has... & the vibrato is grim.

    But she's Welsh.

  1. TopChamp says:

    And her foxtrot was lovely.

  1. got to see some I missed..thanks Dude!