Cue that theme music!

Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2012 by Travis Cody in
4

It's encores and results!


Monday's Festival of Tiny Costumes, otherwise known as Latin night, was light on tiny costumes.  But we enjoyed it anyway.

I just don't care that Gladys doesn't dance with any recognizable technique.  I love her sass, and she got to be sassy Gladys in her Samba with Tristan.  She's having fun and I'll keep having fun watching her.  Click here if the video doesn't play.


The only thing I didn't like about the Samba from Jaleel and Kym was the costumes.  Samba is the party dance.  Why go brown?  Let's see some bright yellows and reds and greens.  Click here if the video doesn't play.


I really liked how cleverly Mark designed the Argentine Tango for Katherine.  I thought it suited the artistry she has demonstrated.  Click here if the video doesn't play.


The tricks, lifts, and spins were incredible.  And this Argentine Tango from Donald and Peta had that slow-quick-slow quality that added to the depth and mystery.  It could have been dance of the night.  Maybe it should have been.  Click here if the video doesn't play.


It was Salsa without a lot of extra junk.  Just Salsa.  And it was danced really well.  That's why dance of the night goes to Roshon and Chelsie.  Click here if the video doesn't play.


Good stuff.

Oh...I did watch the Argentine Tango from William and Cheryl again.  Twice.  I'm still not seeing why that dance earned a 29 total from the judges.  Certainly not when I compare it to what I saw from Katherine and Mark or from Donald and Peta.

But that's just the opinion of a guy who watches for fun and doesn't have a trained eye.  What did Louis van Amstel think?  Click here to see.  If you don't get a chance to click over, Louis said 9s across for William.  To get a 10, Louis said he needed to see more fluidity from William.  Then Louis said both Katherine and Donald should have earned 10s across.

Here's a reminder of our Latin Night leader board:

29 Katherine and Mark
29 William and Cheryl
27 Donald and Peta
27 Maria and Derek
26 Roshon and Chelsie
24 Jaleel and Kym
22 Gladys and Tristan
21 Melissa and Maks
19 Gavin and Karina

The judges select the Salsa from Maria and Derek as the encore.  I didn't care for it Monday, and I didn't care for it this time either.  Too gimmicky for my taste.

Now let's get some results...Maria and Derek are safe.  Melissa and Maks are safe.  Gladys and Tristan are safe.

Train is in the ballroom to perform a new single of a new album, accompanied by Louis and Cheryl.

Macy's Stars of Dance features Sheila E.  It's a tribute to Latin rhythms and dance, choreographed by Liz Imperio.  Meh.  I didn't like that. 

Now it's Selena Gomez.  Her dancers I enjoyed, but the song wasn't really very good.

More results...William and Cheryl are safe.  Katherine and Mark are safe.  Donald and Peta are safe.  Roshon and Chelsie are safe.

Jaleel and Kym are in the dance duel.  Gavin and Karina are in the dance duel.  We've never had one of these before.  Both couples will dance at the same time, to the same music, with the same dance style.  Then the judges will decide who stays and who goes.

The dance is Cha Cha Cha.  Judging should be based only on this dance, not on past performance or who has been the better pair to date.  If that's the case then the better Cha Cha Cha I saw was Jaleel and Kym.  The dance Gavin and Karina did looked more like an up tempo Rumba.

Results of the dance duel...Jaleel and Kym are safe.

That means Gavin and Karina are out.


Well, somebody has to go.  Gavin gets my most improved award.  Maybe if he can squeeze it in, he'll come back later in the season and sing.

Dude!  Next week is Motown!  And some of the songs our pairs will dance to will be performed by the original artists.  This should be fun.

Later gang!

4 comments:

  1. Cherie says:

    I hadn't had a chance to watch Jaleel's dance before now. I taped it, but for some reason I wasn't getting a good signal for about the first 15 minutes of the show.

    I have to agree about the costumes. The problem I had with it was that with the wood tones and the color of his skin everything blended with the background. He looked much better in the black for the dance off.

    I have no idea if the pros or the celebs have any say in the costuming, but hopefully next week they'll dress him better.

  1. As much as I love her, next week barring some major slip up, it is time for Gladys to go. Other than that, love your reviews.

  1. Jean(ie) says:

    Motown will be fun!

  1. This was not a week for watching, but with a rebroadcast next week on Music On The Couch, I should be able to see the program