Election 2012

Posted: Thursday, September 06, 2012 by Travis Cody in
2

President Barack Obama, in his nomination acceptance speech, said in part,

...If you reject the notion that this nation's promise is reserved for the few, your voice must be heard in this election.
If you reject the notion that our government is forever beholden to the highest bidder, you need to stand up in this election.
If you believe that new plants and factories can dot our landscape; that new energy can power our future; that new schools can provide ladders of opportunity to this nation of dreamers; if you believe in a country where everyone gets a fair shot, and everyone does their fair share, and everyone plays by the same rules, then I need you to vote this November.
America, I never said this journey would be easy, and I won't promise that now.  Yes, our path is harder - but it leads to a better place.  Yes our road is longer - but we travel it together.  We don't turn back.  We leave no one behind.  We pull each other up.  We draw strength from our victories, and we learn from our mistakes, but we keep our eyes fixed on that distant horizon...

President Obama said, "...if you believe in a country where everyone gets a fair shot, and everyone does their fair share, and everyone plays by the same rules..."

I believe that.

Don't you want a fair shot?  Life is hard enough.  I don't want my government to make things easy.  I just don't want my government to make it harder.

Don't you want everyone to do their fair share?  I don't expect you to work harder than me and I don't think I should work harder than you.  Let's work hard together.

Don't you want the same rules to apply to you as apply to your neighbor?  We don't get to choose the rules we're going to follow and reject the rest.  We don't get to pick the rights we like and ignore onerous responsibilities.

Common effort.  Shared responsibility.  Effective citizenship.  Bold choices.


"...We, the People, recognize that we have responsibilities as well as rights; that our destinies are bound together; that a freedom which only asks what's in it for me, a freedom without commitment to others, a freedom without love or charity or duty or patriotism, is unworthy of our founding ideals, and those who died in their defense...As citizens, we understand that America is not about what can be done for us.  It's about what can be done by us, together, through the hard and frustrating but necessary work of self-government."

2 comments:

  1. It would be nice if everyone got along..agreed to disagree..worked together for the common good..showed respect..was kind..was giving..was loving..I could go on and on. I pray for that day.
    <><

  1. I agree with you Travis and that's why I'll be voting for President Obama again.