I started a journey about this time three years ago. Thus the odd post title. The journey has been going well. I stumbled a little bit last year, but since that stumble I've figured some stuff out and made some adjustments. I won't list out the specifics. The point isn't to talk about the how and the what.
The point is the why.
This is always a tough time of year for me, as we approach the commemoration of the terrorist attacks of 11 Sept 2001. I can feel it coming as August turns to September. Last year it snuck up on me and I had some trouble. This year I've been able to clear my head and get back to my retrospection, leading me to introspection, and thus to my present re-re-re-dedication.
Dedication: The act of binding oneself, intellectually or emotionally, to a course of action.
I now forge ahead with my list of things to do, with intent.
- I'm a kind person. I like the way being kind makes me feel. So I shall re-dedicate myself to being kind.
- I believe that when one is denied the inalienable rights set forth in the Declaration of Independence...life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness...then those rights become meaningless for all. So I shall re-dedicate myself to advocating for equal rights for all.
- I was taught that there is honor in service itself, not in the type of service. So I shall re-dedicate myself to serving in the way that seems best to me.
- I was taught that knowledge is power. So I shall re-dedicate myself to learning all kinds of things.
- I realize that spirituality is a uniquely personal thing, and I understand that not all faiths and forms of spirituality easily stand side by side, and that some may reject any form of faith or spirituality. So I shall re-dedicate myself to respecting the faith and spirituality, or lack thereof, of all.
- I believe that hate and prejudice are learned behaviors, mainly based in ignorance and fear. So I shall re-dedicate myself to becoming more aware of my prejudices, to understanding the root causes of them, and to overcoming and eliminating them.
- I was taught that I am responsible for my actions, my words, and my choices. So I shall re-dedicate myself to positive actions, positive words, and positive choices. I shall own them all.
- I believe that diversity need not be divisive. So I shall re-dedicate myself to the celebration of infinite diversity in infinite combination.