Cue that theme music!

Posted: Monday, October 07, 2013 by Travis Cody in
4


I'm trying to get back to some kind of routine schedule after a brutal end of quarter.  I'm tired, and to tell the truth I'm just a little grumpy.

We did get a chance to watch DWTS, which we recorded last week.  I'm sorry I couldn't recap it for you...see that brutal end of quarter thing.  But I'd never leave you completely hanging.  Here's a bit of what we liked from last week's performances so we can get you primed for tonight.

Amber and Derek danced Charleston.  The choreography was classic Charleston cleverly mixed with a modern flavor.  I thought it was a bit hectic and sloppy in places, but overall I thought it was entertaining and fun.  Click here if the video doesn't play


Elizabeth and Val danced Foxtrot.  I thought this was a wonderfully charming performance.  The choreography was light and airy.  My only issue of note was that it looked like Elizabeth was just a half beat behind Val during the side by side work.  Other than that, it was an excellent effort.  Click here if the video doesn't play.


Brant and Peta danced Quickstep.  I loved this Quickstep.  It had elegance and style.  The choreography was difficult and made to look effortless.  Brant has a refined presentation.  His posture is wonderful and I think that helps him with timing.  He also has a keen musicality.  On dancing alone, I think this is a pair to beat...but can they win the votes?  Click here if the video doesn't play


Nicole and Sasha danced Quickstep.  Here's your dance of the night gang.  The tempo was appropriately quick.  Nicole found the character and delivered a complete performance.  She connected one movement to the next and focused on her technique.  Sasha's choreography was terrific.  Well done.  Click here if the video doesn't play.


Bonus - because this has got to make you smile.  Bill and Emma delivered an inspiring Paso Doble.  He's not the most talented, or the most musical, or the most rhythmically gifted.  But he isn't the least of those things either.  He didn't miss a step in this Paso.  He brought the character and the bravado.  Most importantly, he showed that you don't have to be the most talented or musical or rhythmically gifted to pull off an inspiring performance.  Click here if the video doesn't play.


There were other dances that were entertaining and well performed.  The ones I chose to share with you were my favorites.

Bill Nye was eliminated according to the scores combined with the fan vote.  It was likely he would have withdrawn due to a severe thigh injury that limited his ability to do much of anything.  

Tune in tonight when Julianne Hough joins the panel as a guest judge.

I crashed over the weekend, so I apologize for not posting my Quotes or Reasons.  



5 October 2013
Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant.  Robert Louis Stevenson

6 October 2013
Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain.  Joseph Campbell

7 October 2013 
Try to be like the turtle - at ease in your own shell.  Bill Copeland





Reason 29:  Because posting a Peace Globe and sharing my thoughts about Peace is part of my way to try, err, succeed, and never abandon the journey toward peace in my heart, in my community, and in my world.

Reason 28:  Because I believe that the future is what we make it.  I'm going to do everything I can to make that future bright and shiny.

Reason 27:  Because we don't know when the last moment of the last day will be, and I want the time between now and then to be as full of peace and love as I can make it.


We speak on one subject with one voice on one day.  Won't you join us?  You have a voice; how will you use it?  Check in at Mimi Writes or at the Peace Globe Gallery for all the details you need to make your Peace Globe and join your voice to the movement.

Join us.  You know you want to.

I believe that words have power, so this matters. 

4 comments:

  1. I wanna see 'em do a mosh pit dance.

  1. Cherie says:

    Looks like I misunderstood the scoring. It's last week's votes with this week's scores. I thought they were going to combined two weeks of scoring every time. They only did that for the first elimination. I'm not as happy with it as I was. I'm glad that Bill N was eliminated though. From the clips they used and stuff, it looked like he had enough of the competitive thing in his blood that he would have tried to stay even if it meant that someone else would be eliminated. Remember last season Dorothy Hamil withdrew before they got through the eliminations. I don't blame Bill N. Part of the reason that the celebs are successful is their determination to keep working even in the face of adversity. I suppose that's got to be even more so for a celebrity scientist. That and we saw him swing. If he could have just gotten to that dance and gotten out of his head, he could have been great!

    Glad you made it out of end of month/end of quarter alive. :)

  1. Travis - I look forward to this every year. Your 30 Days of Quotes and Reasons keep me inspired.

    I'm sorry you've been so swamped! You needed that restful weekend to recharge.

  1. Jean(ie) says:

    Cheer up buttercup! The bad quarter is behind you. Yay! I think you need a good dose legsses!