Dancing - week 9

Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2007 by Travis Cody in
12

Cue the music! Yes, it's time for my silly obsession.

And we're down to four - Joey, Laila, Apolo, and Ian.

No video today. I've been having a little trouble with my internet connection and I didn't want to chance losing the post.

This week, the pairs have two dances and they get to select their favorites. Happy Len says that the four best couples have made it this far. I have to agree.

First dance is couples' choice Ballroom.

Apolo and Julianne dance Quickstep. Julianne has really choreographed a terrific routine for them. It was precise and sharp, charming and full of fun - it matched their personality so well. Very smooth and excellent. They set the bar extraordinarily high. Judges say 10's across for a total of 30. This time, I agree.

Ian and Cheryl dance Tango. I thought we were done with unfortunate musical selections, but they were stuck with a lousy song. The dance was intense and passionate. He had every step and he looked relaxed. The choreography was more difficult and I thought they did well. Judges say 9,10,9 for a total of 28. That was Len throwing the 10.

Here's my thought. If no one falls down, the judges will set the scores as close as possible so that the fans determine who they want in the finale. That's what they did last season. I would not be surprised in the slightest if all 4 pairs ended up tied, or with only 1-2 points separating them on the judges' leader board.

Laila and Maks dance Quickstep. Walk Like an Egyptian? That was technically very good. Their holds were close and their footwork was right together. They overcame the curious music selection with a smooth and sophisticated basic Quickstep. The basic steps were done well, and were impressive because the holds were so close. Judges say 10's across for a total of 30.

Joey and Kym dance Foxtrot. That was great! Smooth, charming, and elegant. All the things a Foxtrot should be. They brought the audience into a wonderful story and told it with style and class. Judges say 10's across for a total of 30.

After the ballroom round, we have:

30 Joey & Kym
30 Apolo & Julianne
30 Laila & Maks
28 Ian & Cheryl

Len went around to rehearsals this week to give some pointers. I would have loved to find some video of Len dancing. But alas, there was none to be found.

Second dance is couples' choice Latin.

Apolo and Julianne dance Cha Cha Cha. That was really good. It had a lot of excitement and was so relaxed and controlled, sexy and hot. Len says it was too raunchy and he is right that there were basic Cha Cha Cha elements that were missing. It was like a Cha Cha Cha that you would see in a club. Judges say 10,9,10 for a total of 29.

Ian and Cheryl dance Jive. He's dressed like Elvis and they Jive to All Shook Up. It was a little slower than I like for Jive, but it had all the choreography and he really looked like he was enjoying the dance. I think he hit every step and he really sold the dance. The performance was great and technically he was right on. Judges say 10's across for a total of 30. There it is!

Laila and Maks dance Cha Cha Cha. OH OH OH OH OH OH OH OH OH OH. This had all of the Cha Cha Cha basic elements in it and was danced with control, style, grace, and showmanship. This is her dance. It was perfect. Her technique was flawless. Judges say 10's across for a total of 30.

Joey and Kym dance Jive. And this is Joey's dance. It was fast and crisp and exciting - just like I expect from a Jive. That was the best dance I've seen this season. Wow! The first Jive they did was great, but this one was even better. Judges say 10's across for a total of 30.

Here's the final leader board:

60 Joey & Kym
60 Laila & Maks
59 Apolo & Julianne
58 Ian & Cheryl

Yup. The fans will decide. Pam was very happy for Ian to get his perfect score tonight. But we have both put our votes behind Joey. We want to see what he does with a free dance!

Results tomorrow gang.

12 comments:

  1. Julie says:

    Yes Travis this was a great show wasn't' it? I could barely sit still yet I surely didn't want to embarrass myself either.

    An amazing sense of class and sophistication has emerged now that we're done to these couples.

    Dance on babies!~

  1. Julie: This was a terrific final 4. They really stepped it up and everyone danced well.

  1. Unknown says:

    What an exciting show. I didn't get to viewing it until about 11:30pm, but I just didn't want to miss it. Excellent, excellent, excellent. And your commentary continues to impress as well. Are you a professional ballroom dancer and just haven't yet told us? You really know your stuff!!

  1. drat! missed it again! guess i was watching the final episode of king of queens. and it was horrible. i have loved that show for years but this last year, not so much, and the final episode must have been written by monkeys, no, that's not fair to monkeys... sorry.

    smiles, bee

  1. Jay says:

    Do you actually call in and vote on this show?

  1. Steven: Thanks. I learned how to Waltz for my sister's wedding, and I take classes during the summer. Now my lady and I take them together. It's fun.

    Bee: And I forgot to remind you! DOH!

    Jay: Yes ma'am. We both do.

  1. Sandee says:

    You write very well Trav...I don't watch TV so I have no idea about this show, but you wrote so well that I could visualize what you were talking about. I still don't want to watch TV though. Have a great day.

  1. Anndi says:

    Oh that first quick step.. Chicklet and I watched the first series of dances before she had to go to bed... and WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

    Love your reviews bro!

    Miss the video... :-(

  1. BeckEye says:

    Ian got a perfect score?? My sister told me that he got voted off tonight?!?! What the frig!?!??

  1. Wow - I watched parts of the dancing. It was GREAT! I loved 'Elvis' of course :)

  1. Comedy: Thanks for the compliment.

    Ann: Sorry about the video - I made up for it though.

    Beck: I'm glad I didn't check comments before watching! I live on the west coast!

    Heather: Ian did really well.