New Music & Surprises

Posted: Friday, May 25, 2007 by Travis Cody in
25

I got new music today. Well, it's new to me.

We have an FYE store just down the block and I popped in on the way home. I didn't know what I was looking for - which always makes for a fun 30 minute browse.

Just as I walked in the door, on the sale rack, was .38 Special The Very Best of the A&M Years. Taking a stroll through my mental catalog, I realized immediately that I was deficient in the .38 department. So into my hand the CD jumped. It's a steal at $9.99.

So that got me thinking about southern rock, which led me to Molly Hatchet. Again with the deficient catalog - how do I not have Molly Hatchet? Wait...I do have Molly, but I have it on cassette. Luckily they had a greatest hits.

A happy man was I!

And then, it got even better.

See, another of my guilty pleasure silly obsessions, So You Think You Can Dance, premiered tonight but I was expecting to watch most of it by myself. Pam had late meetings. But at 19:40 she walked in the door! She surprised me!

A jubilant man was I!

And then, it got even better.

After she showered, she snuggled up on the sofa with me and we watched the first segment. This show is produced by the same folks who do that show that was on FOX last night. Following Soul Patrol protocol, I'm not mentioning the name of that other show.

Anyway, there were a bunch of bad dancers and a few really good ones in the mix. The show doesn't really begin until Vegas round. I don't care for watching train wreck dancers, just as I don't want to be bombarded by bad singers on that other show.

But here's where it gets the best. At the first commercial, Pam gave me presents!

Get your minds out of the gutter! Not those kind of presents! She had 2 CD's for me. One was Barenaked Ladies Greatest Hits...woooooooooooooooooooo!! And the other was Gordon Lightfoot, another Greatest Hits.

My baby knows what I like. It's a good day when you pick up so much good stuff.

And a content man am I.

25 comments:

  1. Ain't nothing like good ole' southern rock and roll... gee I haven't thought about Molly Hatchet in years... thanks for bringing up the memories...

    And I NEVER EVER had my mind the gutter... nope, not me... ;-)

    Have a great weekend!

  1. NOLADawn says:

    I love BNL!! Is it bad that I don't know who Molly Hatchet is? Off to Limewire...

  1. Schmoop says:

    My band used to play alot of Hatchet and .38 Special when we played 20 some years ago. I love it. Don Barnes had a great voice. I just got a Gordo's Greatest not too long ago. Lovet he dude. Cheers Trav, and have a great weekend.

  1. Lisa Ryan says:

    Don't cha love it when they surprise you with presents? and snuggles? Have a great weekend listening to your tunes.

  1. Sandee says:

    Presents are always good. Diamonds and other rare, expensive jewelry always works for me. Hey, if music turns you on then great. Just ribbing you a bit. Have a wonderful Memorial Day weekend. :)

  1. Unknown says:

    My present for today: Trav introduced Gordon Lightfoot to me... and I so so loved the "Inspiration Lady".

    Thank you!

  1. Great memories for me. Love me some Southern "Fried" rock.

  1. Julie says:

    Travis!! Thanks for posting about Gordon....I loved him back in my youth. "If You Could Read My Mind" was one of the first popular songs I learned for the piano!

    Thanks for the great memory!

  1. cathy says:

    So glad you had such a good day:)

  1. the ONLY thing that could have made it better would have been cake!!!

    smiles, bee

  1. Meribah says:

    **Runs through carrying a double nut fudge cake with fruit loop icing for Trav and friends** Let them eat cake! LOL :P

  1. Dix: Yup. I never suspected you would even come remotely close to a dirty thought....Bwahahahahahah!

    Nola: It's not a bad thing, but you best get introduced to Molly. You'll love it!

    Matt: I used to listen to a lot of garage bands playing southern rock, some good and some not.

    Lisa: Yeppers! Presents and snuggles are most excellent things.

    Comedy: I'm a relatively easy man to please.

    Sanni: It's been years since I heard that song. I knew it was the right one for the post. Glad you liked it.

    Songbird: It's more comfort music!

    Julie: You're welcome!

    Cathy: Sometimes we just need the simple things.

    Bee: It's always better with CAKE!

    Meri: Somebody grab that puppy!

  1. BeckEye says:

    Molly Hatchet! Good Lord, I haven't thought about them in forever. I think they played at the Pittsburgh regatta some years ago. Or maybe it was Foghat.

  1. Wow, some old names, I'm thinking I don't have any Molly Hatchet in my collection either....

    Talking about southern bands, do you remember Black Oak Arkansas?

    Sounds like a wonderful day, with lots of new music. Any day with new music is a good day.

  1. Liz Hill says:

    Oh my .38 Special--that video for So Cought Up In You---mmmmmmmmm

    And awesome GL--cool song and sentiment

    Isn't is grand when someone "gets" you?

    Hope y'all had a great night.

    Smooch

  1. Marshall Tucker is another overlooked one. Sounds like Trav scored big time!

  1. Watching the Gordon Lightfoot video sure brought back 'old' memories. Nice song - I'm glad to see he's still at it!

    Sounds as though Pam is one of your greatest gifts :) I'm with Comedy + - be sure to thank Pam with diamonds and rare, expensive jewelery :)

  1. great stuff, do not make em like that anymore.....
    My best wishes for a wonderful Memorial Day weekend, please thank a soldier for what you have.....Freedom

  1. Now that is what I call a VERY GOOD day....

    You know I am also deficient on both of those bands... makes note to self....

    I am looking at a USB turntable for transferring the analog to digital without the complications...

  1. WOW! A very fine day indeed!

    .38 Special is cool. Molly Hatchet is great. The Barenaked Ladies aren't too bad either. I like a lot of thier songs, actually.

    You ever hear of a rock band called Tool? That music will really make you think. It's also good fro backround music while you write. The Crash Test Dummies too, man...I miss those guys. Mmmm-mmmm-mmmm. Great stuff. And of course you gotta listen to Metallica, more great music!!

  1. Beck: Foghat! Another area in which my catalog is lacking!

    John: I don't recall Black Oak Arkansas and now I'm curious.

    Turn: She does "get" me and I'm so lucky.

    Starrlight: Oh yes - Marshall Tucker. I'm making a list now.

    Heather: I am indeed fortunate. She got beautiful pearls for Christmas.

    Sarge: Thanks go out at every opportunity.

    V: Thanks for the links - I'm gonna start searching out analog options soon.

    Lucas: I've heard of Tool and CTD but never really listened. And of course I know Metallica!

  1. JAM says:

    I love .38 Special. Can't really say for sure why, but they are far and away my favorite Southern Rock band.

    Nice "new" tunes though. I love greatest hits CDs, unless it's someone I like so much that I already have all of their CDs, then I don't bother.

  1. Yay!!!

    I'll have some cake as well. :)

  1. Maryfly says:

    nice! *runs out to get the 38 Special cd*

  1. Anonymous says:

    Sounds like you had an awesome day.. great