Mo's Manic Monday - Bat

Posted: Monday, October 15, 2007 by Travis Cody in
21



The graphic was designed by Janna of Jannagraphics.

Welcome to another Manic Monday with Morgen. Don't forget to cruise by MM HQ at It's A Blog Eat Blog World. Today's theme is Bat.

When I was about 4 years old, I got my first Wiffle Bat and Ball set. I don't remember it, but I've heard the stories all my life. We were living in a 2-story apartment complex. My father and my uncle set up a little baseball diamond in the alley between buildings.

They showed me how to stand and hold the Bat. I was a natural right hander at the plate. My father pitched the Wiffle Ball to me and I connected on every swing. Just a nice little game of pepper, a 4 year old boy knocking the Wiffle Ball right back to his father.

It was a fun game and we played it quite a bit. From stories I know that even at a young age I enjoyed all sports. I liked to watch football, baseball, and basketball on TV. And I liked to play ball outside. Any kind of ball.

I'm told that after hitting little tappers back to my father for a few weeks, there was one day when I must have really gotten the idea of timing on the swing. My father threw a flat pitch and I took a mammoth swing. Mom says I swing clean out of my sneakers.

And the ball sailed up and onto the roof of one of the apartment buildings.

I cried for days because I'd lost the Wiffle Ball.

I got another Wiffle Ball and the game continued to be fun. But soon my father graduated me to a real baseball and a glove, and taught me how to throw and catch. And I got a real Louisville Slugger Bat.

My Slugger was probably a Reggie Jackson model. I don't really remember. I was an A's fan as a little guy. Reggie and Sal Bando were my favorite ball players.



Even though I had an auspicious start with baseball, I never loved to play it like I did football. I only played a year of Little League. As soon as I was old enough and big enough, I signed up for football.

21 comments:

  1. All right! My kind of bat! My 16yo was just out here complaining of his pain. He ran smack dab into a catcher form his ball game today. Guy blocked the plate illegally(no ball in possession) and he cleated my baby. Big Bully!!! :)

  1. Unknown says:

    Great information in your MM post! My son signed up for football as well. He plays baseball when we are at picnics and such ... but he hasn't expressed interest in playing little league baseball yet...

    I also thought of baseball in my MM post today.

    peace, Villager

  1. Anonymous says:

    what a great post and wonderful memories of your childhood. There is nothing like playing ball with your dad.

  1. Gattina says:

    I don't know anything about baseball, only the bat ! It's very useful to welcome a thief or to break windows, lol !

  1. Ian says:

    I only played one season of Little League. I couldn't hit to save my life. LOL

    Ian

  1. Sounds as if some baseball team should have recruited you really early.

  1. Schmoop says:

    My friends and I would spend every hour of every summer day playing wiffle ball. My hero at the time was Tony Perez. Good Post Trav.

  1. Sandee says:

    What a great story about you Travis. Very well done. Have a great MM. :)

  1. Anonymous says:

    aww now that is a sweet memory to hold onto!!

  1. Ah...we're kind of on the same base on our stories today...Happy MM Trav!

  1. Jenny McB says:

    With football, you are at least moving most of the time. My boys didn't play baseball, except last year the middle one decided to do Babe Ruth. He was not very good, but hey, at least it kept him out of trouble.

    Don't you think Baseball is the "tie" that binds dads and sons? There's always Wiffle ball, that most anyone can play and enjoy.

  1. Sophia says:

    I enjoyed your post. I'm a huge baseball fan...stuck in a family that's obsessed with football!!

  1. Jay says:

    Aw, that's so cute to picture little Trav.

  1. Mary says:

    Great post! I was never one for sports really, though I played some soccer and ran track. happy MM!

  1. Lisa Ryan says:

    what nice memories you must have of you and your dad! happy mm.

  1. great memory Travis....

    personally I have fond memories of Rollie Fingers...and Catfish Hunter....sigh....

  1. Janice: LOL! Don't cross a baseball Mom!

    Villager: I guess at first I liked football better because I got to do something on every play. Then I just fell in love with it.

    Bridget: It didn't last long, but I enjoyed it while it did.

    Gattina: LOL! That's true!

    Ian: I did ok, just didn't really get into it much.

    Jamie: Hehehe.

    Matt: So that means we would have been arch enemies if we'd met when we were 8...me an A's fan and then a Dodgers fan, and you a Reds fan. Cheers!

    Sandee: I wish I remembered a little more from when I was a little guy. Maybe when I finally get into the old photo albums and scrap books.

  1. Wolfbaby: It is a pretty good one.

    Mags: Can't wait to cruise on over!

    Jenny: I think it can be the tie. As they said in City Slickers, when a father and son can't talk about anything else, there's always baseball.

    Sophia: Be the thumb!! LOL! I enjoy watching baseball too.

    Jay: Awww shucks.

    Mert: Soccer leagues weren't really popular when I was a kid. Track didn't interest me though...I'd rather run around in pads and a helmet!

    Lisa: There are very few.

    Katherine: Yeppers! And Dave Duncan and Geno and Campy too!

  1. Linda says:

    I think every boy was required to have at least one season of Little League, are they not??

    Great post for Manic Monday!

  1. Shelby says:

    I'm reminded of "The Natural" movie... saw it for the first time last week..

  1. Linda: Seems that way, doesn't it.

    Shelby: The Natural falls in my list of top sports movies.