Just waiting on paint

Posted: Thursday, May 13, 2010 by Travis Cody in
13

I may have mentioned that my condo complex has been undergoing a large scale construction project.  The goal has been to strip sub-standard materials away down to the framing, repair damage from water intrusion, install upgraded material back out to siding including windows, and re-paint the exteriors.  

We're also getting back decks and front access stairs rebuilt as needed.

Well, I can report that my building is done except for exterior paint and finish work.

Here's what my place looked like before.



And here's what it looks like now.



This used to be the front bridge and staircase.



This is what it looks like now.




The railings will be installed after painting is complete.


This is what the garden window used to look like.  This is the photo from before I purchased, so that's not our stuff.




And this is how it looks now, with our stuff.  We love that we're able to use it both as a library and as a dining area with the pub table.




Good eh?


We're not certain yet which color we're getting.  There are three shades of green...dark forest, a light olive, and a light grayish green.  One of the original colors was supposed to be a shade of sky blue, but when it went up on one of the buildings there was a hue and cry against it.  So they scrapped that color and went with this grayish green instead.


As far as I'm concerned, they could have gone with yellow.  Doesn't the yellow siding look good with the white windows?

Anyway, this is the result after just over 7 months, 4 of which were spent with plywood over the space where that lovely new window is now.


We like it very much.

13 comments:

  1. Anonymous says:

    Trav: Thanks for sharing the before and after photos. What a great idea!! Library/dining area. I like it a lot!

  1. Love that room. Very cosy and all those bookshelves. Yes, yellow looks nice in the trees. Thanks for sharing.

  1. Akelamalu says:

    WOW it all looks fabulous Trav! :)

  1. Desert Songbird says:

    Looking very nice there, Trav! You know I adore book cases filled with books.

  1. Marilyn says:

    I love that big window. I want a library area like that. That's just nice.

  1. Nice job they did...so, from the picture I can not tell, did they take away the top part of the window that was angled upward?

    Love the bookshelves indeed

  1. TopChamp says:

    It is really good to be able to compare the place - it looks good.

    Pub table...mmm.. that'd make me feel right at home.

    I do like the yellow, but I like green too so think you'll be ok with that in the end.

  1. GGG: That huge dining area is what sold me on the place. I knew right away that it would be a perfect library.

    Charles: It's really a fantastic room. It faces west, so it fills with natural light in the afternoon.

    Akelamalu: Thanks!

    Songbird: And they are completely full. I need to get one more.

    Marilyn: That window is so much better than the old one.

    V: They did. That's why the reframing took so long. They had to figure out how to structurally extend the walls and floor/ceiling. The top of the window is about 6" from the ceiling. You can't see it behind that beam.

    TC: I think the green is going to be good. I'll post pictures as soon as it's completely finished.

  1. Linda says:

    Looking really good and I love that big new window you have! That room looks quite comfy and cozy and homelike. They've done a very nice job in the renovations!

    As for your question about rhubarb, it's very tart but makes a very tasty pie or crisp though getting the right amount of sugar can be tricky. My grandfather used to eat stewed rhubarb a lot and even though I've never had it, it seems like it was a favorite among older New Englanders. A good number of homes around here have big ole' rhubarb plants growing in their yards and it just comes back year after year.

    I'll try to remember to take a picture of the pie when I make it on Sunday!

  1. Anonymous says:

    Hey Trav: I came back for another peek at the library/dining room. Luv it! Saw Linda's note about rhubarb. That's a yummy conversation. Another name for them is 'Pie Plant', but my gram made rhubarb cider and I learned it from her. Dad made rhubarb wine. Goodnight pull pieces from the garden, gets some sugar in her hand and dips as she eats. Hope I'm not butting into a private conversation - but hey, Friday is Pie Day, so I had my radar on!

  1. Yup! It looks fantastic-and I agree with you about the yellow. And how lucky are you to have that fantastic garden window? So pretty!!

  1. Debra says:

    It all looks very lovely. Especially love the bookcases. I'm thinking of doing a little painting around here myself! Hope I don't mess anything up! ha ha!

  1. cathy says:

    Looking good :)