Five on Friday Set 81

Posted: Friday, August 12, 2011 by Travis Cody in
10


I saw the headline on my Yahoo homepage...Musician Marshall Grant Dies.  I didn't know the name right away, but it said he was a musician so I clicked on the link.

Johnny Cash and The Tennessee Two.


Now that name I know.  Luther Perkins (1928 - 1968) on guitar.  Marshall Grant (1928 - 2011) on bass.  Johnny Cash (1932 - 2003) strumming guitar and supplying the legendary voice.  W.S. Holland made it The Tennessee Three when he joined the band as drummer in 1960.  They helped lay the foundation for how country music began to evolve over the years.

When I was just a little guy, I'd tell my mom to turn it up any time I heard those unique beats and that deep voice on the radio.  I'd dance around the house and do my best Johnny Cash accent, singing Ring of Fire at the top of my lungs.

Marshall Garnett Grant
5 May 1928 - 7 August 2011



Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones


If you'd like to join in, here are the guidelines:

1. Grab the banner, make your post title Five on Friday, and be sure to link back here.
2. Go to Playlist.com to make your Set of five songs. You may choose a particular theme to share with us, or post random tunes if that's your vibe for the day. You can simply post the Set, or you can add a little summary about what you are sharing.
2a. Don't feel restricted by the tracks listed on Playlist.com. And don't be discouraged if the Embed code won't work. You're welcome to use any type of media to share your Sets.
3. Be sure to sign Mr Linky so everyone can visit your Set.
4. No tags, but feel free to invite your friends to play along if they need a post topic on a Friday.

Go forth and enjoy music!




10 comments:

  1. Now that was a great reason to get out of bed. Love Johnny Cash.

  1. Great musicians. Great sound. Legendary, simply legendary.

    I am back with a post today! WOOO

  1. Lisa says:

    It's kind of a miracle, but...I played along this week. :)

  1. the group is now all together again.

  1. Linda says:

    I grew up listening to Johnny Cash as he was my Dad's favorite while my Mom was more of a Slim Whitman kinda gal. Either way, the Man in Black was a staple in my young musical repertoire so all of these songs bring back lots of memories for me.

    I'm not playing again this week as I'm still trying to get my act together with my blogging but hopefully I'll come up with something next week!

  1. Akelamalu says:

    Johnny Cash will never lose his appeal!

  1. Anonymous says:

    Great music! Incomparable talent.

  1. I love, love, love Johnny Cash. Very few can claim the status of legend and really be one, but Johnny Cash is definitely a legend.

  1. Ring of Fire - definitely my favorite this week.

  1. j says:

    Travis honey, you made me smile. My son used to sing Ring of Fire too, in his best little boy deep voice. I think both of you, my son and little Travis, were/are precious.

    Have a wonderful week!