Cue that theme music...

Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 2011 by Travis Cody in
4

It's encores and results live from Hollywood!


Monday's performances weren't necessarily about the quality of the dancing, although the dances were very good for the most part.  Rather the story telling took center stage, and with it came lots of emotion.  These are the performances we liked.

JR and Karina shared a perfect moment with a Rumba meant to salute those men and women who gave their lives in service to duty.  Click here if the video doesn't play.


The Rumba from Ricki and Derek was sublime and sensual, and beautifully romantic.  Click here if the video doesn't play.


I thought David gave his first complete dancing performance in this Rumba with Kym.  Click here if the video doesn't play.


Chynna showed passionate elegance in this Rumba with Tony.  Click here if the video doesn't play.


Any one of those dances could have easily been dance of the night.  But I chose the performance that was about being yourself and ignoring what anyone else thinks about you.  To me, this dance demonstrated the courage of a person to recognize, accept, and be who he is.  Anna's choreography set the stage, and Carson owned it in this outstanding Tango.  Click here if the video doesn't play.


Excellent!

Here's a reminder of our leader board after Monday's performances:

27 Ricki and Derek
26 JR and Karina
26 Chynna and Tony
24 David and Kym
24 Kristin and Mark
24 Hope and Maks
24 Rob and Cheryl
23 Carson and Anna
21 Nancy and Tristan
18 Chaz and Lacey

Mary J Blige opens the show performing Real Love, accompanied by Dasha and Val Chmerkovskiy.

Results...JR and Karina are safe.  Ricki and Derek are safe.  Chaz and Lacey are safe.

The judges select the Rumba from Chynna and Tony as the encore.

More results...Rob and Cheryl are safe.  Nancy and Tristan are safe. 

Our dance troupe is joined by Peta and Val, dancing to music from the Gone with the Wind score.  Quite lovely.  Jonathan Roberts choreographed the piece.  I miss Jonathan!

Macy's Stars of Dance features Estelle in a tribute to the Twist.  The piece is choreographed by Kevin Maher.  Now that'll put a smile on your face.  And Chubby Checker is in the ballroom!  Sweet!  Even Len got out there for a little Twist.  Outstanding!

Say what you want about filler and dragging out the results over an hour.  This show entertains me.  That's all I need to know.

Speaking of entertaining me...Mary J Blige returns with a single from her new album.  Oh...BOOTSSES!  Blue and shiny with spiky heels.  Me likey the BOOTSSES.

Final results...Chynna and Tony are safe.  David and Kym are safe.  Carson and Anna are safe.  Hope and Maks are safe.

That means Kristin and Mark are eliminated.


Remember, this show isn't always about the "best" dancer.  It often comes down to who the viewers like and recognize, and what fan bases will pick up the phone, especially in the early days.  When we get into the later weeks, often the better dancers are the ones who get to the finale.

But the "best" dancer doesn't always win. 

Tune in next week when our 9 remaining pairs must dance to movie scores.  And Julianne Hough is going to perform.  You know, she stars in the remake of Footloose.  I have no idea why someone felt they needed to remake that movie, but there it is.

Later gang!

4 comments:

  1. I only saw the last 15 minutes, so I had to come over and see what happened.

    thanks

  1. Anonymous says:

    I fell asleep before the end, so I had to read your update and fins out who went home. Tnx!

  1. I certainly didn't see that one coming. I am totally disappointed in the results. I know, it's a popularity contest and not really a dance contest, but Carson, Nancy, David, or Chaz should have been in the bottom two. I thought that Kristin and J.R. would be the final two, with Hope making it to the final four. DWTS has officially dropped off of my "must watch" list this season. If I'm home and it's on, I may watch. But, I have no intention of clearing my schedule nor DVRing it to ensure that I see every episode.

  1. Julie says:

    It was a wonderful week of dance but I'm upset about the results also. She should have been in the top 3-4 dancers. I thoroughly enjoyed JR and Anna.....I watched it twice and cried both time. Just exquisite!