Five on Friday Set 107

Posted: Friday, February 10, 2012 by Travis Cody in
11

Last week, my pal Jamie over at Duward Discussion posted a Set featuring songs based on a pop psychology theory that "the music we all come back to, identify as our 'favorite songs', and have the most memories connected to are whatever is popular when we are between 13 and 16.   This is when we start buying most of our own music, differentiating our tastes from our parents and start associating at a high level with our peers."

I'm not entirely sure that is true, because a lot of memories come to me when I hear songs from the 50s and 60s.  That's the music I grew up listening and it has had a lasting influence on me.  And my favorite song of all time was actually released in 1971 when I was a mere 7 years old.  No need to guess or look it up...I've mentioned it before.  It's called Sweet City Woman by the Stampeders.

Still, true or not, music does evoke memory.  So I figured for Set 107 this week I'd take a look at some songs from 1977 to 1980, when I was 13-16.

Let's see...I turned 13 in April, graduated 8th grade in June, and started high school in September of 1977.  But THE EVENT of 1977 was the release of Star Wars on 25 May 1977.  I remember standing in line for hours at the Briggsmore 7.  We took it in turns to go into Thrifty's for square ice cream.  I saw the movie 12 times.  And I was hooked on a voice I just couldn't get enough of...Stevie Nicks. 

Dreams was written by Stevie for the Rumours album, released by Fleetwood Mac in 1977.  The song was #6 on Billboard's Hot 100 the week Star Wars hit theaters.


We're off to a good start, because that's an awesome memory.  I saved up my allowance to make sure I could buy that album.  I still have it. 

But 1978?  Hmmm...One of my best memories from sophomore year is making varsity after summer football work outs.  But rather than be a back up on varsity, I decided I'd wanted to play, and I could start on the sophomore team.  Coach let me dress for one varsity game, and so I got my letter at the football banquet just before winter break that December.

My Life was written by Billy Joel for the 52nd Street album, released in 1978.  The song was #8 on Billboard's Hot 100 the week I got my first varsity letter for football.


All Conference, All City, All County...those were the honors I achieved as a defensive back during 1979, my junior year.  Football pretty much dominated my life.  All my buddies were driving, but I was still 15 that fall.  I bummed rides everywhere.  We hung out at Round Table Pizza after football games.  Pizza was cheap and they had a PacMan table game so you could sit and play.  Life was excellent and the future was bright. 

On 4 November 1979, terrorists took 52 Americans hostage in Iran at the American Embassy.  I had wanted to be a Marine for as long as I could remember.  But as I watched the daily coverage of the hostage crisis and my political and world awareness grew, I finally became focused on what it would take to achieve that goal.  I began planning.

Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough was written by Michael Jackson for the Off The Wall Album, released in 1979.  The song was #6 on Billboard's Hot 100 the week the hostages were taken in Tehran.


22 February 1980, USA 4 - USSR 3.  Miracle on Ice. 

Our hockey team beat the mighty Soviets in the Olympics at Lake Placid NY.  Our college kids beat their pros.  That victory breathed life into a nation that had lost its way after the end of war in Vietnam.  In the midst of a hostage crisis that was in day 111 of 444, we held on for our national lives to something that gave us hope and a conviction that Americans were still strong and could overcome anything as long as we hung together and set our collective minds to the task.

I had my knees destroyed in the last football game I ever played in November, and John Lennon was killed in December.  But I prefer the much happier memory of a hockey game in February.

Crazy Little Thing Called Love was written by Freddie Mercury for The Game album, released in 1980.  The song actually came out as a single in 1979.  It was #2 on Billboard's Hot 100 the week of the miracle in Lake Placid.


OK.  I have to admit that those are some good memories from the age of 13 to 16.  So I guess I can conclude that there is some truth to the psychology.  Still, that's only 4 tunes and my little game is called Five on Friday.  So how shall we wrap this up?

Let's go to Billboard's Hot 100 for the week I graduated from high school.  The date was 12 June 1981.  It was a Friday.  We managed to smuggle in 5 beach balls...we tried for 20.  Nobody went naked under their graduation robes, although there was a rumor that Wacky Wally was going to do it.  I didn't trip up or down the stairs, and my cap didn't fall off.

All Those Years Ago was written by George Harrison as a tribute to John Lennon.  It appeared on the Somewhere in England album, released in 1981.  The song was #7 on Billboard's Hot 100 the week after I graduated from high school.


If you'd like to join in, here are the guidelines:

1. Grab the banner, make your post title Five on Friday, and be sure to link back here.
2. Go to Playlist.com to make your Set of five songs. You may choose a particular theme to share with us, or post random tunes if that's your vibe for the day. You can simply post the Set, or you can add a little summary about what you are sharing.
2a. Don't feel restricted by the tracks listed on Playlist.com. And don't be discouraged if the Embed code won't work. You're welcome to use any type of media to share your Sets.
3. Be sure to sign Mr Linky so everyone can visit your Set.
4. No tags, but feel free to invite your friends to play along if they need a post topic on a Friday.

Go forth and enjoy music!

11 comments:

  1. Ivanhoe says:

    That's some awesome memories, Trav! Stevie is my favorite female vocalist of all times :)

  1. That top album cover is really cool. I always liked that. Probably the closest I ever came to buying an album for its cover.

  1. Cherie says:

    That was really neat! Loved all those songs then and now. :) And thanks for sharing those formative years of your life. I never knew the story behind the George Harrison song. George was always my favorite Beatle. :)

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.
  1. I removed my comment because I transposed some of the letters.I enjoyed the great tunes. I hope I did not Rain on anyone's Parade with my set this week.

  1. Jean(ie) says:

    Now I'm humming Sweet City Woman... Square ice cream? How fun!

  1. Jean(ie) says:

    Sister Golden Hair (America)
    Theme from Mahogany (Diana Ross)
    Stayin' Alive (Bee Gees)

  1. Akelamalu says:

    We were lucky enough to see Fleetwood Mac live a couple of years ago and Stevie Nicks is still F.A.N.T.A.S.T.I.C.!

  1. Linda says:

    I remember getting square ice cream at Thrifty's when I lived in Stockton! That's something I had totally forgotten about.

    Great set of songs and it was nice to read about the changes throughout your life during those times. Perhaps there's a tiny bit of truth to what those psychologists said!

  1. You hit some major favorites this week as I still play the Rumors album all the time plus Queen and George Harrison. Good memories and great music.

  1. Loved this trip down Travis' Memory Lane! Though, as a knee-injury person myself, your last-game story wasn't fun to read.

    Don't Stop Till You Get Enough is definitely my favorite this week - always love that opening riff.

    And I realize I only posted this on Saturday, but my week ended with a busy author event - which I'll share on my Thursday Thirteen coming up.