Reader Renovations

Posted: Saturday, September 01, 2012 by Travis Cody in
9

Happy September gang!


I know the solstice isn't until the 22nd, but there is a definite autumn nip to the air this morning and I'm watching a few yellow leaves drop from the tree off our back deck.  And I'm glad to see the back of this summer.

We had a fine vacation, but since we got back it's just been one mini crisis after another.  If it's not something at my work, it's something at home.  Then we resolve those and something goes sideways at Pam's work.  Then something else goes wrong at home.

I just had to ditch McAfee in favor of Norton on the laptop.  McAfee did some kind of update, but I never saw a notice for it.  So last weekend, McAfee started blocking the internet.  I didn't know what was wrong, so Comcast came out.  I got an updated modem, but that didn't fix the problem.  Then we figured out that it was McAfee and that I hadn't updated.  So I uninstalled it...that's tough by itself because McAfee just doesn't want to let go.  Once I got it out, the internet popped right back up.  I quickly downloaded Norton and got back in business.

Then the DVR cable box went wonky.  Comcast is coming out today to fix that.

I won't even go into the insanity at work.  It's not worth rehashing.

As to the renovations, I cleaned up my Google Reader last night.  There were a lot of inactive blogs.  I hate to delete them because you never know when someone decides to come back to blogging.  So I created a new category and moved them all there.  That way I clear out all of the clutter from my standard rounds but don't lose site of some old pals who just might decide to post something again some day.

I found out that some of those old blogs have gone private.  What do y'all do when you run into that but you haven't been invited?  Do you message the blogger and ask?  Or do you just move on and wonder?  I moved those blogs over to the Privatized or Inactive folder.  I guess I'll just wait on them, but I sure do miss those folks.

So anyway, September is here and I really need the distraction of planning my office Halloween.  And football.  Did I mention that the NFL season kicks off next week?  

Joy!

Later gang!

9 comments:

  1. Cherie says:

    Looks like Dianne @ Forks Off the Moment got caught up in the McAfee thing too. I think that they've lost a lot of business over this fiasco. Glad that you're back and up and running. :)

  1. I'd been looking for a good reason to ditch McAfee. It came with my laptop 2 years ago, and you know how convenient it can be to just re-up with something that is pre-installed.

    But this not notifying me of the update and then blocking the internet...that was the last straw. I suspect that Norton and I will be quite happy.

  1. Barb says:

    I used Norton's for 20 years or more... until it started completely sucking the life out my RAM. My PC guru reccomended AVG free. I tried it for 6 months and then bought the full version. I've been on that for about 3 years now. No problems, so far. (fingers crossed).

    Of course my iMac has no anti-virus software. Love that! I just wish some of my business software was available for Mac so I could use it more. Bugger.

    I honestly don't subscribe to many blogs anymore. Probably less than 25-30... and I only regularly comment on 8-10. Don't you feel special now? *grin*

    Hope the work issues settle down. You spend so much of your life at work that it really needs to be mostly enjoyable. Me? I love my boss! hahahaha!

  1. Anonymous says:

    Trav: Indybro works with computers and always preferred Norton, too. Feeling the same weather-wise here, so I traded our cotton sheets for flannel this morning. I never turn on the furnace in September! GGG

  1. I am thinking about going with Norton too. Wait...it's September already? Where did the summer go?
    <><

  1. Linda says:

    Good idea about creating a new place in your Reader for blogs that don't update as much anymore. Lately I'm afraid that I'm one of those but I've found that trying to write three blogs and keep them all up-to-date is downright impossible! Granted, the two travel blogs don't NEED to be updated regularly though I do try to do a new post for Travels With Nathaniel once a week ... well, except for last week which I missed because I wrote two posts for The Distracted Wanderer instead. Lately it seems like I'm lucky if I get to a post on my regular blog once a week but that's okay I guess, it gives other people more time to read other peoples' blogs!

    I can't wait to hear about this epic Halloween decorating that you're going to do for work! Hard to believe that it's only two months until then and Christmas will be knocking on the door directly following. Yikes! Where does the time go?

    Fingers crossed that all of the glitches of life have settled down for you and Pam and that September provides smooth sailing for you - and lots of great football to cheer for!

  1. Sometimes when it rains it pours. Sorry about all of the things going wrong. I know that feeling all too well.

    Summer temps are back this week with high humidity. I'm so ready for Fall.

    I like how you moved some of your blogs to another file. How did you do that?

    Happy Labor Day.

  1. Really enjoying the return of football myself. Especially college.

  1. Ahem.......I'm back (in case you didn't notice).