Peace in review

Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2008 by Travis Cody in
20

Today, in anticipation of Blog Blast for Peace tomorrow, I thought I would recap my history with Mimi and her vision of Peace Globes.

It began in October 2006 with this post. Mimi asked us "What if...every post on November 7, 2006 was simply titled "Dona Nobis Pacem" with a picture of our big beautiful world in the body of the post with each blogger's name screaming a great big GRANT US PEACE?"

Then, on 7 Nov 2006, Mimi wrote one of the most inspiring posts I've ever read. I was an infant blogger in Nov 2006, and I stumbled across Mimi and the movement. I was a little dubious, but this post won me over. Please click on this link and read The Silence of Peace, Papa's Marbles.

When Mimi announced that there would be another Blog Blast in June 2007, I was ready for it. I posted these words with Peace Globes I made for me, Pam, and Mr Tucker. They were crude...just our names. But I felt part of a community and a movement.

The best thing about the first time I participated in the Blog Blast was visiting over 300 posts about peace. There were so many that inspired me and made me think. I collected links to some that I wanted to remember and re-visit.

I knew there would be another Blog Blast in Nov 2007, and not just because it would be the one year anniversary of Mimi's first Blog Blast. There would be another one because the movement had gained so much momentum. It had become something that our community of bloggers did. Many photoshop savvy bloggers offered to help tech challenged bloggers with their Globes. I posted a 13 reasons to blog for peace.

And then I decided that I would call the week of 5 Nov 2007 Peace Week and post a little something about peace every day.

Manic Monday was about Earth.
On Tuesday 6 Nov I posted my DWTS recap, plugged Mimi's Blog Talk Radio appearance, and posted last minute instructions on how to get a Peace Globe.
Wednesday was Peace Globe Day, and my post was about activism...being the change you want to see.
Friday brought my recap of some of the posts that inspired me. If you click on this link, be sure to scroll on down for some giggles courtesy of little baby Ethan.


Did you know that you don't have to wait for a Blog Blast Day to make a Peace Globe? Peace is something we should always be aware of, so I made this Globe at Christmas last year.


Peace Globes have even become part of memes. That was kind of inevitable, since Mimi is the Queen of Memes. Mimi created the Message in a Bottle meme. After I made my post to satisfy the meme, and thus keep myself out of the dungeon, I decided that Peace was a perfect message to fling into the bloggy ocean.


And now we've come to another Blog Blast for Peace. I hope you've gotten your Globe and will join us tomorrow. Remember to make your post title Dona Nobis Pacem.

To Mimi, I say thank you. Thank you for your Papa's Marbles. Thank you for your spirit. Thank you for the idea of a Peace Globe. Thank you for your tireless efforts and your constant inspiration. Thank you for your efforts to collect these Globes and posts in a central place.

To the community, thank you for supporting this movement with your words. I actually met some of you through Blog Blast for Peace. I'm looking forward to tomorrow and seeing your amazing creativity and reading your thoughts.

Dona Nobis Pacem.

20 comments:

  1. Wonderful review Sir...

    Looking forward to tomorrow...

  1. RW says:

    Very awesome peace globes Travis. I'll have mine up tonight.

  1. today i feel like i am losing my marbles!!!

    smiles, bee
    xxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

  1. I enjoyed the retrospective

  1. Anonymous says:

    Certainly worth repeating! Mine is scheduled for midnight, as is my cat's!

  1. excellent trev, i did a promo also.

  1. Excellent review Trav =)

  1. Akelamalu says:

    Wonderful Travis!

    I actually met you through the Peace Globe Movement so I have something else to thank Mimi for besides Blogblast for Peace :)

  1. Unknown says:

    Yay! I feel like a part of the team knowing my buds are playing the same games I am - cheers and here's to the revolution of peace around the globe!...And, thx so much for visiting me - you da'bomb. Have a gr8 day *huggies*

  1. Sandee says:

    Peace Travis. Have a great day. :)

  1. Anndi says:

    Truly a wonderful movement!

  1. cathy says:

    ok already!
    I'm working on it.

  1. Great post Travis. Looking forward to your globe tomorrow! :D

  1. j says:

    I admire your dedication Travis!

    Be blessed.

    Jennifer

  1. V: You know, I think I ended up at Mimi's because of you.

    Roger: I still have to write a post for tomorrow.

    Bee: Quick! Get a tin can or something and catch up those marbles!

    Charles: Thanks.

    WT4W: I have my Globe, but not my post yet.

    Sarge: Great Sarge!

    Starr: Thank you dear!

    Akelamalu: That's right! I think last time I used a quote of yours too.

    Chuck: I'm glad to see you as part of the movement!

    Sandee: And to you dear.

    Ann: Yup.

    Cathy: OK!

    Teach: And I yours!

    Jennifer: I'm just drawn to this movement.

  1. Linda says:

    What a great recap, Travis, and a great reminder that tomorrow is Peace Globe Day all over the blogosphere. I'm sure that there will be hundreds and hundreds of peace globes flying from pages and united in a wonderful cause.

    Peace to you, Pam, and the boys!

  1. A worthy endeavor. I wish you all the best. Unfortunately I'm beyond swamped with painting these days.

  1. Travis - A great recap and inspiring post. Thank you for being such a constant supporter of this movement. This post speaks to unity and the collective spirit of the movement. It truly does seem to have a life of its own.

    Go on with your peace bloggin' self...you, and Pam, and Mr. Tucker.
    Peace to your household my friend.

  1. WOW!! super post.... the peace globe movement is really going well.
    Hello from Speedy :-)

  1. Julie says:

    Well if there were people who didn't have a globe created before reading this post....i'm sure they did afterwards. Thanks Travis!